Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

"inherited view restrictions" - always supersede individual page permissions? Edited

Do "inherited view restrictions" for a Confluence (on-prem Data Center v.7.4.4) - have precedence over individual page permissions?

Confluence page permissions - Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 1.56.55 PM.png

I.e. no way to grant a specific user read access to just one page in an otherwise restricted (no read access to anyone except certain groups and users) space?

Context: we have a restricted space within an enterprise with no read access to anyone except certain groups. We'd like to give read access to just one page within that space to a specific user.

Adding that user to that specific page and giving them read access - lists that user as having view access - yet the user reports "404 page not found", and is not listed among "people who can view".

To reiterate the really confusing parts in this:

• A user is listed as having read access in page permissions - yet has no access due to inherited permissions; there is no straightforward indication of it in the UI: nothing like "while this user is listed it as having access, this is superseded by inherited permissions and thus has no effect". One has to go to "People who can view this page" (a separate UI element), to view effective permissions.
  • I don't see any mention of inherited permissions always having precedence over individual page permissions in "Understanding Permission in Confluence". Shouldn't it be there in big bold letters?

Thanks!

P.S. Apologies if this has been asked a gazillion times.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted

Your assumptions are correct, and I agree it could be more clear in the documenation. Here it is more explicit: https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/page-restrictions-139414.html

Thank you! (Really hoping the UI can be clearer. I am far from the only one in our Confluence instance bumping my head into this.)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Confluence

⚡️NEW Group for Confluence Cloud Admins

Calling all Confluence Cloud Admins!  We created a new Community Group to support your unique needs as Confluence admins. This is a group where you can ask questions, access resou...

106 views 2 9
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you