"error while loading plugins" "java heap space" while trying to view/install plugins

andrey dmitriev January 6, 2012

What param to tweak?

Been impossible to see/upgrade/install plugins lately.

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Wojciech Seliga
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2012
What Java memory settings your Confluence instance run with? If they the memory allocated for your JVM is not big (e.g. below 512MB for heap size and 256MB for permgen size), I would recommend increasing your heap memory (-Xmx settings by 100m or so) and your permgen size by 50m or so. See http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Fix+Out+of+Memory+Errors+by+Increasing+Available+Memory It's also recommended to see if you have the latest version of Universal Plugin Manager and if not, upgrade it.
Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 8, 2012

The error message specifically says heap, so it seems like heap space, but in general with plugin loading you see PermGen errors. make sure it's not this:

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFKB/Confluence+Crashes+Due+to+%27java.lang.OutOfMemoryError+PermGen+space%27+Error

andrey dmitriev January 18, 2012

our settings: -Xms256m -Xmx512m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m ..

How does one determine optimum size for these? We don't have that many users, but a relatively large set of plugins

<th colspan="2" width="90%">Java VM Memory Statistics</th>
Heap Memory
16 % Free
Maximum Heap Size 488 MB
Total Allocated Memory 488 MB
Used Memory 411 MB
Free Allocated Memory 77 MB
Total Free Memory 77 MB
Permanent Generation Memory
32 % Free
Maximum PermGen 256 MB
Used PermGen 174 MB
0 votes
Sheppe Pharis January 19, 2012

Did you recently install or upgrade a plugin (UPM in particular)? I got this behavior after updating the Universal Plugin Manager to the latest version. I restored a backup and haven't had a problem since I've been avoiding that particular plugin upgrade.

0 votes
Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2012
I normally set both -Xms1024m and -Xmx1024m. Setting minimum and maximum to the same value means the app server grabs 1GB for the heap and doesn't have to worry about resizing.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events