Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Placeholder" macro text doesn't show up when using "Create from template"

David Cantrell November 16, 2020

I have a template that uses the "placeholder" macro copiously. And I have a "create from template" macro configured so that when users hit it they get to use that template to create a new page.

However, when they hit "create from template" what they see has none of the placeholder text visible, which makes it very hard to know what to fill in to the various "variable" macros. If the user saves the page they just created, and then edits it, all the placeholder text shows up.

What am I doing wrong that is preventing placeholder text from showing up under "create from template"?

1 answer

0 votes
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 19, 2020

Hello @David Cantrell!

As I understand, the contents of our “Placeholder” macro does not show up as soon as the page is created using the “Create From Template” macro.

To test this, I created a new template in my Confluence site. Here is what it looks like:

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 11.37.22.png

After that, I created a new page and placed the “Create From Template” macro in it. Here is what it looks like:

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 12.10.45.png

After that, I tried using the “Create From Template” macro. Here is what I see:

Screen-Recording-2020-11-19-at-1.gif

I also tried to do the same using “Instructional Text” with our Legacy Editor template. Even there, the placeholder text was present. Here it is:

Screen-Recording-2020-11-19-at-1(1).gif

With these results, I would like to ask you a few questions. Here we go:

1. What browser are your users using when they to use the “Create From Template” macro?
  2. Is this present regardless of the template to which the “Create From Template” macro points to?
  3. Is this happening only with newly created templates or only already existing ones?

Let us hear from you!

David Cantrell November 19, 2020

The placeholder text is missing in both Chrome and Firefox, and AFAIK we're only using placeholders in one template, which I just created a couple of days ago.

We have now raised a ticket with Atlassian support, who have access to the template in question, so in case anyone else has the same problem in the future I will report back with their solution.

Like Mike Synoground likes this
David Cantrell November 25, 2020

The "solution" is that this is broken as designed and so won't be fixed. <sigh>

Like Jay Skelly likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events