"Make page full-with" leaves huge empty space on left and right side for wide monitors

Stanislav Khavruk May 7, 2024

Hello, I'm frustrated with viewing and editing a very wide table in Confluence. I've tried using the "Make page full-width" button, but it only expands to occupy 25-50% of the screen space, leaving huge empty spaces on the left and right sides of the page.

All page content is contained within a single layout column, and the side space is not part of the layout.

However, I've noticed that the table becomes "readable" in History view mode. There, it renders in full width without weird margins on the left and right, and even without column shrinkage.

In the screenshots below, I demonstrate some results:

• The page after using "Make page full-width" and its borders.
  • The page before using "Make page full-width" and its borders.
  • The page in History comparison mode, where the table is rendered in full width as expected.
  • The page in View or Edit mode, where table columns are shrunk and resizing the table cannot go beyond the empty left or right space.

Do you have any ideas on how to remove this empty space/margins on the page with the table? Or is it some kind of bug?

after.pngbefore.pngHistory mode.pngTable in view or edit.png

2 answers

1 vote
Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2024

Hi @Stanislav Khavruk welcome to the community!  I took a quick look at Atlassian believe this is your issue CONFCLOUD-68780 with the page width.

Feel free to vote for and watch it for updates.

I have read comments and history of all related tickets. Looks like Confluence Team decided to not resolve this issue for wide tables content and do not suggest an alternative component for editing and viewing wide tables without scroll.

Provided task is technically dead / inactive. Related 2 were closed too. 2 comments from Team says "it is an intentional design decision". Sadly to hear such reaction from Confluence Team member on bug/feature request.

0 votes
Teodora V
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2024

Hi @Stanislav Khavruk 

How big is your screen? It looks like it's quite a big display, so you can expect such behavior when looking at the saved page. Confluence is surely optimized for responsiveness, but I believe there are certain limitations at the maximum possible width. 

Monitor resolution is 3440x1440.

Even if there are some limitations, why then View/Edit mode shows content differently to "Comparison" mode from history?

I have tried to migrate such table to "Database" but I have not found how to wrap text in it columns for better view without scrolling table.

@Teodora V in theory, you can reproduce problem by simple zoom out in browser. This issue exists at least from 2021.

[CONFCLOUD-68780] Making page full-width does not render page as full-width - Create and track feature requests for Atlassian products.

Teodora V
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2024

Ahh, yes, it's a shame this issue may not be resolved. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events