"Fun" with soft hyphens

Steffen Heller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2022

I create PDF documents from my Confluence pages.

Now, I recognized that text in table cells is sometimes broken in mid-sentence like here on this screenshot in "tempera-ture" and "de-pend-ent":

2021-12-30 12_22_05-Manual_LCO_NF_C_PRE3_en.pdf - Adobe Acrobat Pro DC (32-bit).png

I want to get rid of this and I already know the reason for this. It is soft hyphens in the page's source code (the "­" in between words) . The part with the word "de-pend-ent" looks like this, for example:

Device de­pend­ent (maxi­mum 127 °C)

Two questions:

1. How can I get rid of these soft hyphens?
  2. How can I make sure I don't get them in the first place?

If I go in "Edit" mode of the Confluence page (left) or open the source code in the Firefox Developer Tools (right), the soft hyphens are not displayed at all.

Hence, no chance to grab and delete them.

2021-12-30 12_27_01-LCO NF C PRE3 - Functions - ETM_NTC - Beschreibung - Technical World of Knowledg.png

The only way to detect and show them is to open the source code in the Firefox Developer Tools and then also click "Edit HTML". 
If I do this, the part with "de-pend-ent" looks like this: the soft hyphens are displayed as little red dots:

2021-12-30 12_27_51-LCO NF C PRE3 - Functions - ETM_NTC - Beschreibung - Technical World of Knowledg.png

So, opening the whole page in this specific HTML display and then search for little red dots, is the best way I know at the moment.

How do these soft hyphens (unintentionally) get in the source code?

Is there a shortcut to enter them, a setting to automatically create them or can they infect a page when text is copied from Word or some other source?

Does anybody know?

1 answer

1 vote
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2022

Hi @Steffen Heller

I would ccopy from the source and paste the text into notepad to remove all formatting and paste it back to confluence.

Not ideal if you have a lot of content, but it's better than having to go to the developers tool to edit.

Regards

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events