Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Database connection failed" after upgrade from 7.4.11 to 7.4.17

Drew Hilliard June 8, 2022

After updating Confluence to version 7.4.17 to resolve the vulnerability CVE-2022-26134, we get the error message "Database connection failed." We've downloaded mysql-connector-java-5.1.48-bin.jar and placed it in /WEB-INF/lib/ and restarted Confluence, but the issue persists. We've made sure MySQL is running on the server and that we can log into the database with the credentials specified in confluence.cfg.xml.

What further troubleshooting steps can we take to determine why Confluence is experiencing this error after the upgrade?

2 answers

0 votes
Navas December 8, 2022

disable SSL on the database connection , fixed the issue for me 

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 8, 2022

@Drew Hilliard Welcome to the Atlassian Community

This can be caused by a lot of things.  Here is the Atlassian KB on DB connectivity issues that you should step through.  https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/startup-check-confluence-won-t-start-as-it-cannot-connect-to-a-database-953127209.html

I have also seen this issue caused by the Java Version.  Make sure that the version you are using is compatible with Confluence and the connector and that there is not a conflict in the jre.  https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/change-the-java-vendor-or-version-confluence-uses-962342397.html#:~:text=Go%20to%20%3E%20General%20Configuration%20%3E%20System,using%20the%20expected%20Java%20version.

Drew Hilliard June 14, 2022

Hi @Brant Schroeder Thanks for the welcome and the links. I've run through the checks and here are my takeaways:

• Confluence and the MySQL database are on the same Linux server, so I think we can rule out network connectivity being the problem.
  • MySQL is running and the user specified in the confluence.cfg.xml file has access to the Confluence database.
  • When we run the command java -version we get back "Command 'java' not found". This also occurs BEFORE we install the upgrade.

I'm thinking that something about the upgrade to 7.4.17 is breaking the connection to the database, but I'm at a loss as to where to look further.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 14, 2022

@Drew Hilliard I would recommend submitting a support issue https://support.atlassian.com/contact/ Atlassian should be able to provide additional insights.

Drew Hilliard June 14, 2022

I'll do that. Thanks, @Brant Schroeder 

Navas November 21, 2022

@Drew Hilliard  any progress on this . i am facing the same issue. I have tried upgrading using linux installer on ubuntu 18.04

Navas December 8, 2022

tail -30 /var/atlassian/application-data/confluence/logs/atlassian-confluence.log

gives the cause as follows

Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: No appropriate protocol (protocol is disabled or cipher suites are inappropriate)

to disable SSL on the database connection

edit my.cnf and add in skip_ssl

[mysqld]
skip_ssl

Restart both mysqld , and confluence .. fixed the connection issue.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events