Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Database Contains Existing Confluence Data" on migration without changing database server

Nurbol Duisenbayev December 24, 2019

Today I faced this error while migrating Confluence Server from one server to another server "Database Contains Existing Confluence Data". Although Database server is same.

I copied setenv.sh , server.xml and whole home-folder from old server to new server.  Config file confluence-init.properties shows correct home-folder on new server.

How can we solve this, any ideas?

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 24, 2019

This means that Confluence believes that it is a new installation, but has been pointed to a database that already contains a load of Confluence data.

It is hard to say what the underlying problem here is without doing a lot of delving, but there is a slightly-hacky fix.

Create a new database (maybe with the same credentials, but definitely a different name).  Stop your Confluence, edit <confluence home>/confluence.cfg.xml so that it points to the empty database.  

Start Confluence and run through the "create a new empty confluence" process with this.

Once complete, stop that, then edit the confluence.cfg.xml file so that it points at the old database.  Restart Confluence, log in  as an admin  (using an account from the old Confluence), and trigger a re-index.

Nurbol Duisenbayev December 25, 2019

Thanks for the reply. Actually your advice works.

I followed tutorial on this page, which is almost same as yours - 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/how-to-generate-a-new-confluence-cfg-xml-425461512.html

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events