Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

private, truly private Confluence space

is there a way to make a Confluence space private, really private? I mean is there a way to hide the pages of a Confluence space even from Confluence administrators but keep the Confluence administrators allowed to manage the space ?

1 answer

2 votes

No.  To do their job, an administrator needs to be able to, well, do admin.  That includes the ability to change permissions in ways that could grant people (including the admin) the rights to see any page in the space.

@Nic Brough _Adaptavist_ 

yes this is a big problem, a classic IT problem. My client would like to manage HR records for employees and obviously in that case a Confluence sysadmin could potentially see all the confidential notes of each employee in the company.

No matter what you do, you have no choice but to trust your admins.  Even if you set up a separate Confluence, you'll still need to trust the administrators of that Confluence.

This is not a problem anyone solves by crippling people's ability to do their job, you need to have procedures and human controls in place to ensure you can trust your admins.

@Nic Brough _Adaptavist_ in a nutshell is what I told my client. Few Confluence admins can be counted on the fingers of one hand. And trust.

Why are you (well, your client) giving admin access to people they can't trust?

@Nic Brough _Adaptavist_ no, it's not that, it's that I come from a military background. Access information only if you have a need to know and only for as long as necessary. I expect this to work in enterprise applications. Lotus Domino for example already did this in 1986... you could administer permissions and content without having to see it.

I've worked in those environments too, and I can tell you that you need the people and processes to trust your admins.

Your example of Lotus Domino is no better than what Confluence can do.  If you're a Domino admin, you can always configure the system to allow yourself in.   You have to trust your admins.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Confluence

🏑 Atlympic Event: Confluence

Hello Community!  Quick disclaimer: We are running a contest on Community (The Atlympics!) from July 23rd - August 8th of 2021. If you are interested in participating in this contest (prizes! ...

67 views 2 5
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you