print name, date & time in current edit - like madiawiki signature

Dan Andrews August 12, 2012

The feature I'm most missing presently from Confluence is a easy shorthand method to print a user's name and the time into the edit they're working on.
Mediawiki implements this thus http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Signatures
This
feature is indispensably useful in marking the conversations around versioning, I hope there's a way to achieve this functionality reasonably easily.

3 answers

0 votes
Deleted user April 9, 2013

Has anyone figured this out? I second Daniel - this must be doable.

Our use case is simple: enabling stakeholders to make inline comments while leaving the rest of the content untouched. Mediawiki does a great job at solving this problem, even though you have to know the magic markup for username and timestamp data (four tildes).

We've managed to create a few simple macros that create different colored boxes for "ask", "reply", "comment" - we're just missing the signature piece inside those boxes. No anonymous edits are allowed in our system, so this user/timestamp data should be available when users edit the page, or save the edit.

So where/how is that data stored and how can it be retrieved?

Any tips greatly appreciated - and we're happy to share those macros in exchange :-)

0 votes
Daniel Borcherding
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2012

Hi Dan,

To further expand on what Alex has already said. There is a page versioning utility already built in to Confluence. It shows Edit timestamps as well as users. There is the built in ability to run a diff on the pages directly from Confluence to see exactly what edits were made from this page.

I am not sure that this functionality would suit your purposes, but it can be accessed from the Tools menu on any given page in Confleunce.

Dan Andrews August 13, 2012

Yes, on a different page you can see a list of edit dates. Which isn't going to be useful in my context.

I am looking for a simple way for users to sign and date inline the changes they're making to a discussion of (for example) content production.

The time and the current user must be data present in the session, so any sollution would not even require further database queries. Surely this can't be particularly arduous.

0 votes
Alejandro Conde Carrillo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2012

Hi Dan.

I think that would be a cool feature. The best place to rise feature request is jira.atlassian.com. I have created a new ticket with this feature request: CONF-26308. Please feel free to add your own comments and vote for it to make it more noticeable to the developers.

Thanks Alex, It doesn't look hopeful over there though with 6000 issues above any features.
The ablitly to achieve this with a plugin or macro would be just as useful.

• Resolution: Won't Fix

Well that resolved that pretty quickly

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events