It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

preventing employees from exporting pages/spaces

How can I prevent a disgruntled employee from exporting a page or space from Confluence, and exfiltrating it before their termination date?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
James Dellow Community Leader Jan 16, 2020

Realistically, you can really only check after the fact and then use other legal mechanisms to prevent information theft.

If they export a space, you should see this in the audit log.

But you'll need to look for an add-on to track page views by individual users or embed a tracking mechanism of your own.

Are there third party plugins that would act as a "tracking mechanism"?  If so, do you have any recommendations?

James Dellow Community Leader Jan 17, 2020

Sorry, I haven't used any myself to make a specific recommendation, but I did notice this one looks like it offers a global report on individual user views etc:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1215565/page-views?hosting=server&tab=overview

If a user was trying to export a lot of content, it should be obvious from the spike in views compared to other users.

I don't think there's any way to do this except for taking away their access rights completely. As long as they have read access they could always make a copy for themselves, one way or another.

Yeah naturally we revoke access at the time of offboarding.  And we can't keep people from taking pictures of sensitive intellectual property with their phones...

...I guess the question could be generalized as "how do you secure Confluence from potential data leaks?"

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Confluence

Lessons and Learnings: Six Months of Working Remote [Discussion]

Hey there, folks! For most of us, the past six months- yes, you read that right- have been a journey. More people than ever before have pivoted to working remotely, and navigating being on-scre...

8,501 views 6 6
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you