prevent Confluence from added access for you when editing page restrictions as an admin

Tony Rice June 8, 2023

We're renaming groups which has us editing a lot of page restrictions to add the new group (if I'm missing something there actually is a way to rename groups within Confluence, please let me know).

When editing the restrictions on a given page, it automatically adds whoever is doing this with the maximum permissions, and doesn't give you the option to remove this on the restrictions page. 

Untitled.pngThis forces you to go to Page Information to remove this unwanted access.

Is there a way to prevent this behavior?

1 answer

0 votes
Manoj Gangwar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 8, 2023

Hi @Tony Rice 

Welcome to Atlassian Community.

Only Confluence Administrator can rename the groups. 

If you are Confluence Admin, Follow below steps :

1) Go to User Management

2) Choose Groups in sidebar

3) search for the group

4) try to rename it. 

Tony Rice June 14, 2023

I do not think this is correct.

My understanding is that it is not possible to rename a group in Confluence, that this may only be done in the backend database, which we try to avoid at all costs due to some very bad past experiences across multiple Atlassian products.

I'm also looking to avoid having my account added whenever I edit restrictions on a page.  This will also be useful outside of the group renaming use case. Any advice there?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events