Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

preserving macro text in confluence wyswig editor

Wendy Carter September 4, 2013

I have been trying my best with the wyswig editor No point in whinging. Nesting/outline creation remains maddening, but the thing I have the most trouble with is panels and other text display macros. My historic pages made extensive use of panels/info/sections as a means of conveying information. It was super-easy in wiki markup to format text and change my mind later.

In the new editor, you can't do this without awkward copy and paste to preserve the text and then remove the macro. I see there is no intention to fix this -- the jiras are marked as won't fix. This makes editing existing pages particularly troublesome. Is there a plan to provide a dropdown/shortcut for text display -- adding to preformatted/quoted/etc. I always thought text display formatting features fit awkwardly into the "macro" bucket and this is an area where the new editor is clearly less efficient.

3 answers

0 votes
Wendy Carter September 11, 2013

Thanks. I was aware of both these options. They are both clunky. I was really asking Atlassian whether there was any thoughts about changing the way formatting blocks of text is handled in the new editor, as macros were a useful mechanism in wiki markup but are awkward in the new editor.

0 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2013
  1. If you mean changing from one macro to another like noformat to panel and back, you can do this via Macro browser: Select Macro (bottom, left) and select a new macro. Still pretty painful but it does save the parameters.
  2. Keep as wiki using Wiki Plugin for Confluence
0 votes
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2013

If you want a more wiki-markupish style of editing you could get the Confluence Source Editor. It's not wiki markup editing, but rather HTML ... but still you can edit markup rather than use the wysiwyg editor.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events