popup/rollover contextual comments

Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 22, 2012

Is there any way to have a pop up balloon in the main body of the page linked to the comment so that comments can be directly related to the section/text of the page (dare I say like Word does)

What we are looking for is an ability for someone to add a popup/rollover balloon in the main body of the page whilst in Edit mode. If you have a long section of text which is being developed you want to easily be able to post a comment(s) against a particular point(s) in the text without having to jump out, create a Comment and then jump back to create a link to the comment. It needs readers to be able to see the popup(s)/rollover(s) whilst they are reading the page in normal non-Edit mode directly in hte context of where the comment relates to.

Effectively it could be an extra menu option on the Wiki toolbar under Insert.

I use one system which is a downloaded Confluence instance and another which is on demand

4 answers

2 votes
Joe Clark
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 26, 2012

There's no built-in feature in Confluence that would allow this, however there are a couple of commercial plugins available from third-party vendors which may suit your needs.

For example, have a look at the Confluence Talk Plugin by StiltSoft and the Kwik Sticky Notes plugin by Spartez.

This may be a good solution for your downloaded Confluence instance, but unfortunately third-party plugins cannot be installed in our OnDemand platform.

Reid Manchester June 15, 2015

The Talk plugin doesn't really cover this need and it's very expensive. Kwik Sticky plugin has been deprecated. New options would be appreciated!

1 vote
Dave Hergert November 8, 2012

We all have to come to the conclusion that if commercial plugins exist for certain features, we may be better off purchasing those (the Talk plugin looks pretty nice honestly). Atlassian has a very rich plug-in developer community that it needs to support; the creation of the new marketplace and the ease in which people can now purchase through it is a sign of this. Atlassian can't go about adding features that effectively cannibalize their plug-in community, otherwise why would people write plugins if they knew they'd end up just being made irrelevant when Atlassian eventually duplicates their functionality (i.e. what Apple does).

We must understand it and accept it, but yes, it stinks sometimes. Personally, I would rather Atlassian close JIRA issues (CONF-4486) requesting features that are obviously provided by plug-ins rather than letting them sit if the intent to to not implement them as core functionality.

0 votes
Milo Test
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2015

While not particularly easy, you could use the Rollover macro.

Try following my instructions here, replacing the graphic URL with just text:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/30947827

0 votes
Reid Manchester June 15, 2015

So far I have not found any plugins that provide contextual hover-over/Rollover where no hyperlink is involved.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events