page not showing in page list but can find via search

Jack Brickey Community Champion Jul 19, 2017

I have been having this problem for awhile and have been unable to figure it out. 

I have a page that seems to not be linked the to space correctly. I can find the page via search and it appears to be under the Space it should be but it doesn't show under Pages. I even Move it under the Space in an attempt to make it visable but still it doesn't show. If I make it a child page by moving uner an existing page in the space it will show up. 

There are no restrictions on the page.

Unsure if the following has anything to do with it but if I recall the page was created as follows. The content of the page was originally part of the Space content itself. As the project (space) matured I cut much of the Space content and pasted into a new page under the Space for historical purposes. I'm unsure if my troubles began at that point or some time later to be honest.

1 answer

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.
Stephen Deutsch Community Champion Jul 20, 2017

Does the page happen to be located on the same level as the home page? Pages which are there don't show up in the sidebar (unless you're on that page). A page has to be a child of the home page in order to be visible in the page hierarchy.

Jack Brickey Community Champion Jul 20, 2017

Stephen, 

certainly could be. Now I just need to figure out where the home page is and better understand the concept of the home page. While i'm remotely aware of the fact it is created when the space is created I never have spent time setting it up and simply think in terms of Space/Pages/Child Pages. You would think after several years of using Confluence I would know. :-( I need to spend some time investigating this (reading the documentation) as I haven't to be honest but have occassionally run into the issue. Compounding my confusion is the new Confluence layout. :-)

I will spend some time today on this and get back to you.

cheers,

j

A good way to get an overview of the space page structure is to go to "Space Tools" -> "Content Tools" -> "Reorder Pages". This gives you a nice tree structure view of all pages in your space.

The homepage can be found in the Space Details. Normally it's set when you create the space, but you can change it if you want.

Normally the way that pages end up in the root of the space (next to the homepage) is when you delete a page that has children. Since they no longer have a parent they end up at the root level.

Jack Brickey Community Champion Jul 20, 2017

beautiful! that was certainly the problem.

once i move the two under home they show up. Obviously i need to spend more quality time w/ Confluence as this is 101 or at least 102 stuff.

Thanks!

Stephen Deutsch Community Champion Jul 20, 2017

Glad I could help!

So this feels like we are calling a bug a feature.

If I configure the space sidebar to show the page tree, I expect all pages in the space to be shown in a tree structure. If I configure it to show the child pages, then I would expect it to work as you describe.

The problem is it is impossible to configure my space to show all pages in the sidebar without organizing them all under the home page.

Am I missing something?
--ap

So this feels like we are calling a bug a feature.

If I configure the space sidebar to show the page tree, I expect all pages in the space to be shown in a tree structure. If I configure it to show the child pages, then I would expect it to work as you describe.

The problem is it is impossible to configure my space to show all pages in the sidebar without organizing them all under the home page.

Am I missing something?

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Tuesday in Confluence

Add-on evaluation with confluence templates

Atlassian market place contains number of Apps/Addons which improves the capability of out of the box Atlassian products. It is good to follow a plugin evaluation process before install add-ons. So t...

170 views 12 7
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you