page not showing in page list but can find via search

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 19, 2017

I have been having this problem for awhile and have been unable to figure it out. 

I have a page that seems to not be linked the to space correctly. I can find the page via search and it appears to be under the Space it should be but it doesn't show under Pages. I even Move it under the Space in an attempt to make it visable but still it doesn't show. If I make it a child page by moving uner an existing page in the space it will show up. 

There are no restrictions on the page.

Unsure if the following has anything to do with it but if I recall the page was created as follows. The content of the page was originally part of the Space content itself. As the project (space) matured I cut much of the Space content and pasted into a new page under the Space for historical purposes. I'm unsure if my troubles began at that point or some time later to be honest.

8 answers

2 accepted

13 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 15, 2019

Hello all,

To follow up on the issue of pages within a space not displaying within the sidebar we wanted to ensure we’re providing accurate information to allow other people to understand and find the best way to have their content displayed within the sidebar. Along with this, we want to ensure we communicate the most effective ways to move pages within Confluence.

Any page created within a space that exists outside of the home page will not display within the space sidebar. This is due to the hierarchy of the page tree which exists within the space sidebar. We do have a few options to have your content displayed and these steps do require manual changes.

Your first option would be to manually move the page itself to be nested under the home page. This can be achieved with the following steps:

1. Navigate to the page that needs to be moved
  2. Click on the menu *** > Move
  3. Select Browse on the left
  4. Choose the home page (or other pages you want this page nested under) and select Move
  5. Your page should be moved

Your second option is to move the page(s) via the Reorder pages tab within Space Settings. This option allows for rapidly moving multiple pages within a space. You can complete this through these steps:

1. Within the space, select Space Settings from the sidebar menu
  2. Within Space, Settings navigate to Content Tools > Reorder Pages
  3. WIthin the Reorder Pages view, you may drag and drop any page or parent page to a new location. Select the page in question you want to move and drag and drop it over the space home page.
  4. Once you drop the page it will start displaying within the sidebar after refreshing the page.

Further information about these above steps may be found within the following articles:

I hope this information proves helpful and clarifies why pages do not display when they’re outside the home page and give everyone a method on moving a page.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Deleted user May 9, 2021

So...you don't believe in screenshots?

If I reorder page by drag and drop, surely it should just be reordered beneath that page? The fact I have to google why my page isn't showing in the tree just shows the poor UI of Confluence.

Like # people like this
Морозов Алексей May 11, 2021

All Atlassian products have awful UI ;)

Like # people like this
Paul Filkin January 16, 2023

Thanks @Stephen Sifers , this was the solution for me:

1. Navigate to the page that needs to be moved
  2. Click on the menu *** > Move
  3. Select Browse on the left
  4. Choose the home page (or other pages you want this page nested under) and select Move
  5. Your page should be moved

It's odd because when I visited the page it showed as already being under the correct parent.  However, following these steps and just doing it again solved the problem and it now displays in the navigation tree correctly.

Heth Siemer April 5, 2023

This feature is not bad UI, people just don't understand what an orphaned page is.

Noel Da Costa July 10, 2023

None of these solutions worked for me. Content Tools doesn't exist anywhere as an option that I can see.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 20, 2017

Does the page happen to be located on the same level as the home page? Pages which are there don't show up in the sidebar (unless you're on that page). A page has to be a child of the home page in order to be visible in the page hierarchy.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 20, 2017

Stephen, 

certainly could be. Now I just need to figure out where the home page is and better understand the concept of the home page. While i'm remotely aware of the fact it is created when the space is created I never have spent time setting it up and simply think in terms of Space/Pages/Child Pages. You would think after several years of using Confluence I would know. :-( I need to spend some time investigating this (reading the documentation) as I haven't to be honest but have occassionally run into the issue. Compounding my confusion is the new Confluence layout. :-)

I will spend some time today on this and get back to you.

cheers,

j

Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 20, 2017

A good way to get an overview of the space page structure is to go to "Space Tools" -> "Content Tools" -> "Reorder Pages". This gives you a nice tree structure view of all pages in your space.

The homepage can be found in the Space Details. Normally it's set when you create the space, but you can change it if you want.

Normally the way that pages end up in the root of the space (next to the homepage) is when you delete a page that has children. Since they no longer have a parent they end up at the root level.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 20, 2017

beautiful! that was certainly the problem.

once i move the two under home they show up. Obviously i need to spend more quality time w/ Confluence as this is 101 or at least 102 stuff.

Thanks!

Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 20, 2017

Glad I could help!

Alexander Sideropoulos October 11, 2017

So this feels like we are calling a bug a feature.

If I configure the space sidebar to show the page tree, I expect all pages in the space to be shown in a tree structure. If I configure it to show the child pages, then I would expect it to work as you describe.

The problem is it is impossible to configure my space to show all pages in the sidebar without organizing them all under the home page.

Am I missing something?
--ap

Like # people like this
Alexander Sideropoulos October 11, 2017

So this feels like we are calling a bug a feature.

If I configure the space sidebar to show the page tree, I expect all pages in the space to be shown in a tree structure. If I configure it to show the child pages, then I would expect it to work as you describe.

The problem is it is impossible to configure my space to show all pages in the sidebar without organizing them all under the home page.

Am I missing something?

1 vote
Brendan October 10, 2021

I mistakenly made our Space's Home page / Landing page source a particular child sub branch. I could then only see in the Space Shortcuts 'Pages' sidebar the child pages for that branch. 

After reading this I went back and deleted the sub branch page I had used as the overall space home page source. It then reset (made visible) everything as the Space Home page was no longer restricting the 'Pages' sidebar view to only one of the overall space's sub branches. All the child pages of the sub branch were then orphaned, but that was fine, I just recreated a sub branch parent page stub, grouped all the related children back under them and then made sure I never set the landing page source again!!

Lisha Li August 31, 2022

In our case people sometimes create pages directly in the root and they don't show up in the sidebar tree. I found out about such "hidden" pages by chance, when using Space tools > Reorder pages.

It seems there is no way to make the sidebar display absolutely all trees and pages of a space like the "Reorder pages" feature does. Unless I remove and don't use home page altogether, but that is not the option for me.

0 votes
Martin Gillett March 8, 2023

I'm sorry, but if technical training is required on how to display a page on a space then the application is not intuitive.

0 votes
Melanie Liguet October 21, 2021

Hello,
Thanks for these informations.
Is there a way to identify all the pages that are not linked to a home page?
I would like to do a check on all spaces in our instance.

Regards, 

0 votes
Lionel MALLET October 7, 2020

Hi

in my case, the page was a child page (one of two) of a page which contains a tree view module

This parent page (02... ) shows its 2 child pages : 0201 and 0202

but 0202... is missing in the tree view left panel 

Confluence_page-not-displayed-bug_2.jpg

i have tried adding a tag on 0202, edit content of it , adding a comment on it, log out and log back, refresh...

The only solution which works for me : changing the title of this child page 0202

0 votes
eferrell February 14, 2020

In my case the Home Page for my Space was blank. Setting a home page fixed my issue.

0 votes
smannan March 15, 2019

I had similar issue. I uploaded a word document and dragged the file under 'How-to articles' - it showed up under 'How-to articles' list on the left list, but when I clicked the 'How-to articles' it did not show up in the page. In my case, I had to update the labels (kb-how-to-article). Once label was updated, it showed up on the how-to article page.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events