on-premise Jira and Confluence server - same database or separate?

Jeff Brooker August 31, 2020

Hi, I am setting up my first Jira and Confluence "server" setups and am halfway through the setup - I have Jira setup with the DB residing on one of my SQL servers. 

My question is, do I need to setup a new, separate DB for my installation of Confluence or can it use the same DB as the Jira software uses?

Our setup is going to be very small, single server that runs both pieces of software (Jira and Confluence) for under 10 users of both software.

Thanks in advance!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Pavel Potcheptsov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 1, 2020

The best is to have separate databases for Jira and Confluence since there could be same name for tables and each instance can interfere the other one.

Jeff Brooker September 1, 2020

After looking it more, it appeared to require this and so that is what I did however thanks for following up.

0 votes
Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 31, 2020

Hi @Jeff Brooker , 

the recommandation is to have separate servers or VM to run Jira and Confluence, as it's better performance wise.

For the database, it's fine to use the same shared MySQL instance, it's pretty much the norm for database servers anyway.

Let me know if this helps, 

--Alexis

Jeff Brooker September 1, 2020

Thanks, we are not sure how widely this will be used and we were planning using an existing MS SQL server and so I went ahead and installed both products on the same Windows 19 vm with separate DB's and so we'll see how it goes however thanks for your response.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events