Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

occasionally can't paste images in confluence

Kendall Walker January 29, 2017

Not always but occasionally I can't paste an image into confluence.

Scenario:

I am editing a page and copying and pasting images from outside of confluence into that page.

I do this for several images of the same type from the same external program (snagit) and then 1 of them just won't paste. I save page and then edit it again to see if this works but it still won't.

Any ideas if this is a confluence issue or possibly something else I'm doing?

21 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kendall Walker January 29, 2017

Thanks Rodney however of course as soon as I decide to raise this issue I find the problem....

When I copy an image that has clear space in it (grey and white checked background in Snagit) it doesn't copy the image properly so when I try to paste it in confluence nothing happens.

If I fill the clear space with white for example, then the image copies and pastes successfully into Confluence, therefore it's a Snagit / User error nothing to do with confluence.

This question is answered!

Nicholas Segalle November 15, 2018

Kendall - THANK YOU. 

I was going nuts trying to figure out why my images were pasting *sometimes* and stumbled upon your thread.  I am using Snag-It, and have the same problem.  What I do is copy the image and paste it into mspaint, then copy it from there to paste in Confluence.  I would have never figured that out until I read your thread.  

Thanks again!

Ryãn Rôséllõ January 28, 2019

I ran into a similar problem with SnagIt.
Workaround:  in snagit, right click on the image, select Canvas Color...
Choose a color and then save the image (Ctrl+S)

You can now copy+C/V the image into Confluence without any dramas.

3 votes
Brian Carden February 7, 2017

I am having the same issue. Unable to paste images into Confluence. Running Mac OSX 10.12.1, I have tried chrome, chrome canary, older versions of chrome, safari, firefox and opera. 

I am a designer and have dozens of comps to upload. Incredibly frustrating and time consuming. Please fix ASAP!

1 vote
杨兴 December 29, 2019

hello , everyody .  i have the same error when sometimes using  copy images from onenote.

i find that , if directly copy  images from onenote(mac) page, it will paste the images base64 content to the confluence page.(you can view the link on the page  and will find it), and this way may occasionally have the missing attribute error. But if you copy the images from onenote to another place such as , word, wechat chat dialog, and then copy the same image from them to confluence, you will find that it will upload the pic rather than base64 content.

so, i want know , is there a way to not copy base64 content? why the word or the wechat dialog can identify the onenote pic?  i thinks it should adapt in the confluence , not other soft..

0 votes
codyreign September 21, 2017

I'm having this issue at the moment. Snipping tool and drag-drop. 

OS: Win 10 creators edition Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.608)

BROWSER: Chrome Version 59.0.3071.115 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Authentication Token: Google

Image Formats Tried: PNG, JPG, GIF

Attempted Log Out and IN: 2 times

Browser Restart attempt: 1 time

Alternative Browser Attempted: Microsoft Edge 40.15063.0.0

using Microsoft EdgeHTML 15.15063

Smacked head off desk: 7 times

Chrome Console Output from two attempts: 

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 504 ()
/wiki/rest/api/content/917572/property/editor Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 ()
batch.js?externals=__local-default__&locale=en-GB:111 AJS's create element functionality has been deprecated since 5.9.0.
No alternative will be provided.
Use document.createElement() or jQuery.parseHTML(), or preferably use a templating library.
a.default @ batch.js?externals=__local-default__&locale=en-GB:111
/wiki/rest/drag-and-drop/1/filestore/upload Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 504 ()
/wiki/rest/api/content/917572/property/editor Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 ()
batch.js?externals=__local-default__&locale=en-GB:111 AJS's create element functionality has been deprecated since 5.9.0.
No alternative will be provided.
Use document.createElement() or jQuery.parseHTML(), or preferably use a templating library.

0 votes
Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 22, 2017

Random does/ doesn't is the worst of all sad

Usually happens to me when I complain to an IT person .. magically not repeatable sad

Fingers crossed, keep your hands in the exact same position ...

0 votes
Matthew Garrett February 22, 2017

It is very strange. I have just tried copying the image from the snipping tool and it worked. I then did it from Snagit and it worked.

As I said it appears to happen randomly.

0 votes
Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 22, 2017

I can imagine it is not "starting" to get frustrating as that happened when it first occurred!!

I have never used Snagit so can't comment on that.  I presume it is something like "Snipping Tool" supplied with Windows?  I often use Snipping Tool copied directly in to Confluence without any problem.

Anyway, what format does snagit natively capture the image in?  What happens if you save that as a PNG, JPG or other "official" image formats and then load that format?  Perhaps messy but I am guessing it is something to do with snagit's native operation not being compatible with Confluence image handling.  Perhaps a product improvement suggestion to Atlassian is warranted although I suspect it is hard to keep up with 100's of third party proprietary tool compatibility?  In the mean time try Snipping Tool would be my best guess at a work around.

0 votes
Matthew Garrett February 22, 2017

This issue is really starting to get frustrating. Yesterday I created many pages and I could copy and paste directly from Snagit. Today I can't. This happens periodically.

I have found a way around it which is a little strange. If I copy from Snagit into Word and then copy from Word I can then paste it into Confluence.

This happens on and off. Some days it will work and others it doesn't.

I have tried this in Firefox \ Chrome and IE.

0 votes
Kendall Walker February 8, 2017

Thanks for that JD, it's working for me now this morning!

0 votes
JD MacNeil February 8, 2017

Looks like this issue is being fixed this evening. See... 

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-46230

0 votes
Christian Miller February 8, 2017

I too am having this issue. I've been able to copy images from the clipboard into pages until this morning, now I can only copy and paste images that were previously on the page. I'm using Windows 10 (not updated since paste was working) and the issue occurs both in Chrome (56.0.2924.87) and Explorer.

0 votes
sethwill February 8, 2017

It's happening to me in Chrome Version 56.0.2924.87 (64-bit), and with firefox I get 'broken image'.  I can't paste an image in Confluence.

Dominic Villella February 8, 2017

I have the exact same version and its doing the same for my users and myself. I cant even get the imagebroken to show up. I just get a blinking cursor and the errors in the log like they are posted above.

Kristof Vandermeersch April 6, 2017

We are using Confluence Server and browser IE11.

When we paste a screenshot in a new page that has not been saved yet, the screenshot is there in the page, but after saving the page, the image is lost and 'broken image' is displayed.

Indeed, the XHTML shows

<ac:image>
    <ri:url/>
  </ac:image>

(We see here that the URL is really gone)

Workaround for us is to first save the page before pasting the first screenshot.

In the error logs we see this:

com.atlassian.confluence.content.render.xhtml.XhtmlException: com.atlassian.confluence.content.render.xhtml.XhtmlException: Missing required attribute: {http://atlassian.com/resource/identifier}value
 at com.atlassian.confluence.content.render.xhtml.storage.resource.identifiers.StorageResourceIdentifierUnmarshaller.unmarshal(StorageResourceIdentifierUnmarshaller.java:74)
 at com.atlassian.confluence.content.render.xhtml.storage.resource.identifiers.StorageResourceIdentifierUnmarshaller.unmarshal(StorageResourceIdentifierUnmarshaller.java:48)
 at com.atlassian.confluence.content.render.xhtml.links.XhtmlOutgoingLinksExtractor.extract(XhtmlOutgoingLinksExtractor.java:120)
 at com.atlassian.confluence.links.DefaultLinkManager.updateOutgoingLinks(DefaultLinkManager.java:242)
 at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor2274.invoke(Unknown Source)

0 votes
Kendall Walker February 7, 2017

This time the issue is happening again however my original solution doesn't work.

I am using Chrome Version 56.0.2924.87 & Windows 7.

I am still copying images from snagit.

I am able to paste directly into JIRA today however not into Confluence. 

My console erro is the same as Nick Dolan's:

image2017-2-8 14:6:23.png

0 votes
Nick Dolan February 7, 2017

Having same issue on Windows 10 with Chrome. Usually I can paste images in the clipboard no problem, but it seems to randomly break on certain pages. The Chrome console is giving this error when I try.

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'upload' of undefined
at Object.pasteFromEvent (batch.js?build-number=6452&confluence.table.resizable=true&highlightactions=true&hostenabled=true&j…:6267)
at Object.onPaste (batch.js?build-number=6452&confluence.table.resizable=true&highlightactions=true&hostenabled=true&j…:6266)
at Editor.<anonymous> (batch.js?build-number=6452&confluence.table.resizable=true&highlightactions=true&hostenabled=true&j…:6265)
at Dispatcher.dispatch (batch.js?build-number=6452&confluence.table.resizable=true&highlightactions=true&hostenabled=true&j…:1791)
at b (batch.js?build-number=6452&confluence.table.resizable=true&highlightactions=true&hostenabled=true&j…:2105)
at DOMUtils.<anonymous> (batch.js?build-number=6452&confluence.table.resizable=true&highlightactions=true&hostenabled=true&j…:2106)
at HTMLBodyElement.e (batch.js?build-number=6452&confluence.table.resizable=true&highlightactions=true&hostenabled=true&j…:1938)

0 votes
Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 7, 2017

Since Kendall solved his own problem this posting is probably not being looked at much further

My query was to establish the platform you were using so that you could eliminate the main problems of Internet Explorer, and others more in the know of the solution can understand what might be contributing to the cause

Perhaps raise the question again in your own right

0 votes
JD MacNeil February 7, 2017

I am having the same problem

This is what the console says in Chrome... 

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'upload' of undefined

at Object.pasteFromEvent (batch.js?build-number=6452&confluence.table.resizable=true&highlightactions=true&hostenabled=true&j…:6267)

0 votes
Thomas Kowenhoven February 7, 2017

Rodney - any update here yet ... it's still a problem on my end and if nothing changes soon I'll need to move to another platform - thx.

0 votes
Thomas Kowenhoven February 4, 2017

Rodney - I'm running Windows 7 Pro (I know, a little old-school here), and using Chrome (version 55.0.2883.87 m) for my browser.

0 votes
Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 4, 2017

Thomas - what Windows version are you using?

What Browser and version are you using?

It would be wise to check performance on a fully HTML5 compatible browser such as Firefox or Chrome - and specifically that means NOT Internet Explorer!

Also if you have a corporate PC, check JAVA script settings, or simply check on another CC e.g. a private PC

0 votes
Thomas Kowenhoven February 4, 2017

I have had this same issue (and am having it again right now - super frustrating) - image pasting into page works most of time, but then suddenly doesn't ... could be midstream during pasting of multiple images where first 3 paste fine, but then can't paste anymore, despite all settings for images being the same (in Snagit, where I'm usually grabbing images) ... I even try to re-paste an image that just worked (pasted into page) and still no success.  I believe it's an issue on the Confluence side, because the only solution I've found here is waiting a day or a few days, then things work again (i.e. perhaps a server or some code re-boots as part of sched maint) ... without any changes to the images I was trying to paste.  Looking for Atlassian to step up here and research this because it's not an external issue with Snagit, etc...  Thx.

0 votes
Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 29, 2017

what Windows version and what browser and version are you using?

Is it still happening using Firefox or Chrome instead of Internet Explorer?

Christian Miller February 8, 2017

Up until now I've been able to copy images from the clipboard into pages. Now I can only copy and paste images that were previously on the page. I'm using Windows 10 Pro Version 1607 (not updated since paste was working) and the issue occurs both in Chrome (56.0.2924.87) and Explorer.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events