cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

noformat line endings seem to be broken

Timothy Wilson February 20, 2018

Same issue applies to code blocks. There are two related issues. First issue:

Setup

I create a noformat block in confluence.

I enter some text with newlines like:

line one
line two

I use the up and down arrows on my keyboard to move the cursor.

Expected

The cursor moves between line one and line two as per usual.

Actual

The cursor skips out of the noformat block as though it were all a single line.

Replaced On

Windows box with Firefox 59.0b6 (64-bit) and Chrome (current version), Confluence 1000.0.0-d2f3f7bc191 (Cloud)

Second issue:

Setup

I create a noformat block in confluence.

I copy multiple lines of text from a text editor like Nodepad++ in Windows (CRLF) mode or Unix (LF) mode (makes no difference either way) into the noformat block:

I then copy those multiple lines from the noformat block.

I then paste those copied multiple lines into the same (or another) noformat block.

Expected

The multiple lines are pasted in as multiple lines as per usual.

Actual

The new lines chars are stripped out and the multiple lines are pasted as a single line.

Replaced On

Windows box with Firefox 59.0b6 (64-bit) but not Chrome (current version), Confluence 1000.0.0-d2f3f7bc191 (Cloud)

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 21, 2018

Hi Timothy,

The first issue is a reported bug, with a workaround below:

• CONFCLOUD-58846 Using Up and Down arrow keys to navigate text in various contexts causes cursor to jump out of context

Workaround

It is possible to avoid this issue by having an empty row on the top and bottom of the table that avoids the bug. You can remove the extra rows when you are done editing.

You can also use shift + arrow keys in order to select the text line by line, then use a left/right arrow key to de-select the text and leave the cursor in the line that you want.

The second issue has been reported here and confirmed not to be an issue with Google Chrome:

• CONFCLOUD-59048 Copying and pasting text between code blocks does not preserve whitespace and linebreaks

Please vote on both cases to help show the number of users who are running into the issue. You can watch both as well in order to be updated with any changes.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Shannon

Timothy Wilson February 21, 2018

Thanks Shannon, but as reported the suggested workaround do not work, and seem to only be applicable to tables, not panels, code or noformat sections. Looks like perhaps the related fix for tables broke these other things?

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 22, 2018

Hi Timothy,

I tested the workarounds in my instance with code, panel, and noformat macros, and I can confirm that the 2nd workaround listed does work:

You can also use shift + arrow keys in order to select the text line by line, then use a left/right arrow key to de-select the text and leave the cursor in the line that you want.

Can you try that again and let me know if you have any trouble? It will select the text that you scroll past, but if you hit the left or right arrow it will end the cursor where you finished your selection.

Regards,

Shannon

Timothy Wilson February 22, 2018

Ahh yes you've got me there, that one does work.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
February 23, 2018

Timothy,

Thank you for confirming that. 

I know the workaround isn't ideal but at least it could help for now. I'm hopeful to see this resolved shortly as we're seeing more and more users noticing the issue. Of course, you can help by voting and watch the case as I mentioned, and if you comment on the case it will go straight to the developers' notifications.

Let me know if you run into any further issues!

Regards,
Shannon

Markus Messers April 25, 2022

deleted

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events