multiple Instances of Confluence on one Server

Nils_Rochholl__Privat_ May 30, 2020

Hi all,

i would like to migrate my two cloud-instances of Confluence to the other instance i have on my on Server. Is this possible? 

For every instance i need own URL, own design, the users are mostly not the same, but sometimes could be. 

Is there a possibility to have multi-mandates in one installation?

Thanks in advance,

Nils Rochholl

3 answers

1 vote
Ed Letifov _TechTime - New Zealand_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 30, 2020

All you need is to put your 3 instances, each running on a different port (in server.xml) behind a reverse proxy e.g. Apache or NGINX. See: https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/proxy-and-https-setup-for-confluence-950286281.html

If you want centralised user management either connect all 3 to LDAP/AD or install Atlassian Crowd on the same server and connect 3 confluence instances to that.

All of these can hook up to the same Postgres database with 4 schemas (if you are running Crowd).

Just make sure the server is big enough in terms of RAM to allow 4 java processes + db processes + proxy processes + OS itself to leave happily next to each other - I would go with 16Gb RAM, locking JVMs at 2Gb and tune/monitor to make sure it never swaps. Also make sure you tune your OOMKiller (assuming you are using Linux) so it never ever kills any of your Java processes, proxy processes or db processes...

0 votes
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 30, 2020

Hi @Nils_Rochholl__Privat_ 

1. Take a look at this page on how to migrate Confluence from cloud to server.
  2. Once you migrate to a server version then you can merge these instances by migrating spaces from one Confluence to another.
    1. Export space to XML.
    2. Restore space

I hope it helps.

Ravi

Thanks for the migration how to - but this is not the question. I know how to migrate. But i don't know if confluence server or data center can host more than one instance on a single server / single server cluster for different users.

0 votes
repi
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 30, 2020

@Nils_Rochholl__Privat_ 

What exactly do you want to do?
Transfer a cloud installation to a server installation?
Copy a cloud installation to a second cloud instance?
Add a Clooud installation to a second existing one?
Why do you want to do that?

I would like two have my 3 instances (wiki1.domain.tld, wiki2.domain.tld, wiki3.domain.tld) on one server. The best would be to have a central user management, cause a few of the users have access to all wiki. I don't want to have to many servers.

The way to transfer the cloud-instance to server i already used.

repi
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 30, 2020

You have DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD?
Do you want to summarize your 3 cloud instances on one cloud instance or do you want to merge these 3 cloud instances on a self-hosted server instance?

Actually i have 2 instances cloud and 1 instance on premise.

I want to have the 2 cloud instances and the 1 on premise instance migrated to one single server with 3 instances.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events