migrate self-hosted confluence into Rancher container solution

KIK Team ISA September 2, 2019

Since a couple of months I am desperately trying to migrate a self-hosted confluence system into a containerized environment. These are the systems specifications: 

Confluence Version: Confluence 6.1.0

MySQL DB Version: MariaDB 10.1.38

The database runs on a dedicated server. 

I am trying to migrate this system into a containerized environment. The specifications of the containerized environment are: 

Confluence Version: 6.1 

MySQL DB Version: MariaDB 10.1.38

I am using this container image: https://hub.docker.com/r/atlassian/confluence-server

The databases runs on a dedicated server, I can access it without any problem from the confluence container. Confluence recognizes the databases successfully. 

When I try to import the exported dataset from the current system (exported from the UI via Administration -> Backup & Restore) I get the following error: 

Import failed. Check your server logs for more information. com.atlassian.confluence.importexport.ImportExportException: Unable to complete import: Error while importing backup: com.atlassian.synchrony.Events

This error occurs after approximately 60 seconds. 

You can find detailed log files here: https://pastebin.com/2FLaWB6Y

Based on my specifications I am running a supported setup of Confluence. I am pretty desperate to get this running as this is a customers system.

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 3, 2019

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out about your migration issues and including great amounts of detail into the steps you’ve already taken. Form the notes you’ve provided we do see you’re running Confluence 6.1. This version of Confluence is no longer supported and we would suggest upgrading to a later support version (Currently at the time of this post we would suggest Confluence 6.5 or higher). Once you’ve upgraded your current system we would then ask you to reattempt the backup and restore for the migration.

Further information on the supported products may be found at Atlassian Support End of Life Policy along with all of the Supported Platforms.

Please let us know if you run into any issues upgrading to a later version in place and then attempting the restore to a similar version for your migration.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

KIK Team ISA September 4, 2019

Hello Stephen, 

just to understand this correctly: You want me to upgrade the system I am trying to migrate because I do not want to operate it any longer in order to migrate the newly upgraded system onto my container environment??

Is there any way for me to migrate the current 6.1 on-prem system into let's say a 6.5. container system? 

Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 4, 2019

Hello,

We would suggest an in-place upgrade as you’re having issues attempting to migrate your instance. An in-place upgrade will allow you to bring your instance of Confluence up to a later version prior to the migration. This will offer a cleaner state as once you migrate it will be a simple migration vs a migration then multiple upgrades.

Since you’re having issues with the import portion of the migration and you’re wanting to upgrade as well then this path would be the best to attempt. There may be issues with the version you’re running which is causing the import to fail. 

From your notes as well there is also an issue with using Confluence and MySQL Maria DB. Further information about this compatibility may be found at CONFSERVER-29060. When you’re ready to migrate please review the supported platforms linked in the initial answer to help find a supported database application.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

KIK Team ISA September 4, 2019

Hello, 

based on the issue that you linked you provide support for MariaDB starting August 2019...

Upgrading the system I am about to migrate (in order to update BTW) is not an option. 

Could you answer my preceding question before suggesting anything else?

Like Stephen Sifers likes this
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
September 4, 2019

Hello,

Thank you for the response. I’ve reviewed the documentation provided again and can confirm MySQL is supported but variants, such as MariaDB, are not supported with Confluence. This is reported in the following:

Confluence will not work on MySQL variants such as:

• MariaDB - see CONFSERVER-29060
  • This issue was closed as “Not being considered”

Source documentation: Supported platforms

This is also noted in the documentation update request at CONFSERVER-36474.

You may attempt to export your Confluence 6.1 version into a later 6.4+ version. When doing this we would suggest you select a database from the following list (Here are the supported versions for Confluence 6.5):

Databases

PostgreSQL:

• PostgreSQL 9.2
  • PostgreSQL 9.3
  • PostgreSQL 9.4
  • PostgreSQL 9.5
  • PostgreSQL 9.6

MySQL:

• MySQL 5.6
  • MySQL 5.7 

Oracle:

• Oracle 12c (Release 1)

Microsoft SQL Server:

• SQL Server 2012
  • SQL Server 2014

I hope this clarifies which databases are supported with Confluence.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

KIK Team ISA September 9, 2019

Hi, 

just to keep you updated - I am currently configuring a PostgreSQL Container in order to host my database. 

I will come back to you once the configuration is done. Will I face any migration issues from my MySQL database to a PostgreSQL database?

KIK Team ISA October 7, 2019

Hi, 

I installed and configured a PostgreSQL container. Now I am getting the following error while installing Confluence. 

https://pastebin.com/CKKSBhkc

I am running PostgreSQL 9.6. 

Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
October 7, 2019

Hello,

Thanks for reporting an update and providing new log outputs. It looks like you’re either hitting a port issue or a JMX issue with your setup. There are 3 similar posts that helped others to resolve this issue. For this error, I would ask you to review these following posts:

Please let us know if these posts help resolve your setup errors.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events