large documentation project constant updates

Dan Thomas November 16, 2022

I am curious if there is a way i can put PDFS in one location     when building the pages for documentation  use links to access these PDFS  since it is basically info on what a specific process is doing,    These processes can change  so i am wondering if i could create the page   have a link that would open the detailed document which is generated by a software we used.     If i can do that it would mean the page it self would not have to change if someone modified something small in the process

For example    there is a main process we will call A         there would be a pdf document inside a folder that would have details

if A then is made up of steps 1 2 and 3   these would also be pdf pages and the the confluence page would link to wherever these would be stored.      

Thus if someone changed something on Step 2   nothing really changes on the confluence page,  but the detailed process steps on the PDF  would change and since it is a link and would have the same name always  when someone looks at the confluence page seeking info  it would bring up the newest pdf document since it replaced the prior one.

We have several thousand of the detail PDFS   and trying to make the process more efficient and streamlined.      Hoping this makes sense

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2023

@Dan Thomas Welcome to the Atlassian community

Your example is having some sort of central document repository within Confluence.  While confluence can help manage files it is not good at it and sharing documents across spaces does not work well.  While you can store documents on a page and share them out on other pages if the user can not access the page the documents will not be visible to them.  There are some apps that might meet this need but you would need to test them first.  https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?hosting=cloud&product=confluence&query=document 

Since Confluence is a Wiki it really wants to control content within each space and page.  I have seen individuals build out master content that is then included in many pages throughout the space.  https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/insert-the-include-page-macro/   then when the central content is updated everything is updated.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events