label vs Page Properties

johan milio September 7, 2018

Can somebody advise me on when to choose to use a label, or when to add a key/value pair in the Page Properties ?

1 answer

0 votes
Sattesh M
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 12, 2018

Hello Johan, by default, the Page Properties, and Page Properties Report macro must always be used with a label.
The ID of the Page Properties can then be used in the Page Properties Report macro, if we want to filter all other pages out, and display that page alone.

For Example:

Page A: Has the page properties macro with ID "123", and has a page label of "ABC"

Page B: Has the page properties macro,with ID "456", and has a page label of "ABC" as well.

Page C: Has the page properties report macro, and has the Label option set to "ABC".

So now, Page C's page properties report macro, will show Page A, and Page B.

Let's say we add the ID of one of the page properties above, into the Page properties ID (optional) field, in the page properties report macro in Page C.

• If we add in 123, the page properties report macro in Page C. will only list Page A
  • If we add in 456, the page properties report macro in Page C. will only list Page B
  • If we add in 789, the page properties report macro in Page C will not show anything, since it could not find the ID in any of the page properties macro of the pages, with the "ABC" label.

Hope that helps, Johan!
Do let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Sattesh

johan milio September 13, 2018

Hi Sattesh, thanks for this very detailed reaction :-)

I see however that I have to clarify my intent with that question a bit more

Let's say I want to track something I would call "opportunity", I would then use that as a label for my pages (1 page per opportunity).

Then I would define a number of characteristics I would like to track for each opportunity, let's say A, B and C, which would be my keys in the key/value pairs in a page properties macro.

After I collected a number of "opportunities", I can report on them and their characteristics by using the page properties report.

But what if I'm not able to decide what A, B or C should be? What if I'm only able to decide upon which characteristics I want AFTER I've collected a rather large number of "opportunities". That would be a problem, because EVERY opportunity-page must have a page properties macro, with the same keys in it. It would entail to much rework to add those keys once the pages have already been created. (This is a real case for me where a client is not able, nor willing, to help me figure out which characteristics he would like to have reported on).

So I was thinking of using more labels instead, so creating labels A, B and C (and even more as the client comes up with them). Then I could use the Content Report Table Macro to report on specific labels. Backdraw of this solution would be of course that i cannot represent all my "opportunities" in a tabular format, whith all their characteristics presented clearly.

That's my predicament and I wanted to see If someone else has been in the same situation and how they solved it...

Thomas Ohrbom November 27, 2019

Hi @johan milio 

I do see your point, and I've run into a couple of similar situations. The way I see it, your alternative of rather using labels as you go along, and then just add more as needed, will require almost as much rework (there might be pages where a new macro is not needed). You'd still have to go back to all your previously registered opportunities and add any new macros to the relevant pages. Also using page properties would "force" you to perhaps hold back on any hasty decisions, and plan ahead more. Maybe doing fewer but larger revisions if required. 

I do prefer the Page Properties for metadata that is more or less fixed, and labels for metadata that is more variable or prone to frequent revision. In our setup Page Properties are primarily used to describe properties of the page and its content (approver, expiry date, document type etc.) and labels are used to indicate target audience (department, company, function etc).

This way we can do reports using the Page Properties Reports macro, applying the relevant labels for filtering.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events