it possible to actually paste images? Never references to the source?

Daily I copy images (from, say, google image search) to the browser clipboard and then paste them into my confluence pages.

I recently found some missing/broken images. When I examined the images on the page I see that most were not copied and pasted, as I expected, but referenced instead (so when the original page changes, they go away).

Firefox clipboard copies both the URL and the image data, but apparently Confluence only grabs the URL.

I'd like to never paste references. If I wanted a reference, I would have selected "copy URL" and pasted that instead. If I use copy and paste, I always want to copy and paste.

Is there an admin config setting to prevent Confluence from ever using a reference? I've lost a lot of images before realizing they were not really saved.

Worst-case, is there a Confluence equivelant of "paste special"?

4 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Sorry for the resurrection, but this is still a massive issue for us. I couldn't find a bug ticket for it despite what brucecannon said above, can anyone point me in the right direction? smile

I agree.  This is a broken default action.  I copied an image from our intranet to the cloud service and Confluence merely copied the link.  When I went to show my customer at his site, it was broken links.  This needs to be fixed ASAP.  A paste should upload the image and NOT just the link.

Davin Studer Community Champion Apr 14, 2014

There is no Confluence setting for that. In fact that really is a function of the browser that is doing that. The best thing would be to save the image locally and then copy it Confluence.

Hi Davin, thank you for the info. It's too bad there's not a setting for it.

The browser copies the image to the clipboard along with the URL, not instead of. Confluence just uses the wrong one. It's a Confluence problem, not a browser problem.

This can be verified by copying an image from the browser to the clipboard, disconnecting network access, then pasting into an image editor. Voila: image, not reference.

Saving images down and then uploading them again because the tool can't paste correctly is both tedious and frustrating; I know because I've been doing that since I discovered the problem :)

I went to open a bug ticket, but it seems that others have gotten there before me.

I have experienced this a few times when I copy an image from a Confluence page and paste it into another Confluence page. If I delete the first page, the image will disappear from the second page as well. This is quite frustrating.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

462 views 6 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you