Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

install on live server

S Hantaah November 16, 2014

I'm a little confused about the installation as the docs are talking about local host installation but since I am going to be collaborating externally is there a way to install on a liver server and iff so please direct me to installation docs for this.

I have a trial running on my local host and have bought the server upgrade.

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2014

Local host always means "this computer".  You install Confluence as per instructions (on your "live server", which, as far as your installation on there is concerned, is "local host") and you'll be able to use it from other computers by going to that server's address on the port/url you set it up with on your network.

S Hantaah November 16, 2014

I'm going through the installation guides and I can only see options for installing on windows or linux op so what if I am on managed hosting?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2014

It's very likely that your managed host provider is running Windows or Linux, so follow the guide as appropriate. (Note that the Linux guide is also pretty much valid for non Linux flavours of Unix, but you need to understand the OS in order to translate them. Heck, they even work ok for VMS with a bit of translation) Some managed host systems don't allow you the access you need to do that, and require that you ask them to install server software such as Confluence. Or they provide a management system of some sort. Or even a limited list of software that can be run on a server. But we have no idea what your provider allows for. You'll need to explain what options you have before we can get much further.

Asael Sepúlveda November 16, 2014

An easy way is getting an account on DigitalOcean (make sure the instance has 2GB in RAM and CentOS). It's about 20 dlls a month. Take a look at this guide to install JIRA in a few steps:

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/questions/using-and-installing-JIRA

S Hantaah November 17, 2014

I'm on the go geek plan with siteground

I'm still really confused. I have downloaded the tar file to my pc so do I extract it on my pc then upload files to my live server or upload the tar file to my live server then extract there?

I installed it here

http://www.muslimahwebdesign.co.uk/confluence/

Now I don't have a clue what to do next or if it's right but I'm guessing it's not

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 17, 2014

You need to do all the work on the server. But it's NOT a simple web-site, you can't just "extract the fies" and stick them on a server. You need to run the bundled Tomcat (or, if you want to use your own application server, you'll need the WAR version to install into your own server), then get your web server to offer up the right ports in the right location. Let's start at the beginning - what does your host provide in the way of services? Do they have a Tomcat or some other application server? Or are you expected to provide everything? What operating system are they on?

How will i know how to do all this since there is no step by step?

I think it's linux. With regards to services can you tell from their page?

http://www.siteground.com/web-hosting.htm

I'm on the go geek.

Have I uploaded everything correctly so far and what should I do next?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 17, 2014

I can't give you a step-by-step - there is not enough information about your server. Start at the beginning - if it's a Linux box, can you log into it and get to a command line? If you can't, then does it have some form of "application management" system somewhere?

I see, thanks for helping.

When I log into my host I have the option to log into cpanel. is that what you mean by application management? Otherwise I don't know how to get to a command line

sorry for my ignorance

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 17, 2014

Ah. I am not aware of anyone who has successfully installed Confluence on a Cpanel based web service. I have a horrible feeling it does not let you have the level of access/control over the server that you need.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events