#include not working?

I tried to add the following line to my Main Layout template:

#include("/confluence/includes/test-include.txt")

I checked that the file exists, that the path is correct, and that the contents are innocuous, but I still get the error:

Error occurred during template rendering: Cannot process content resource. Contact your administrator for assistance.

Any ideas?

2 answers

0 vote
David Simpson Community Champion Apr 30, 2012

If this is a plugin, ensure that the file is found at resources/confluence/includes/test-include.txt within your plugin.

You could also try #parse("/confluence/includes/test-include.txt") instead, but that's likely to fail too if you don't get the path correct.

If you're doing stuff directly in the Confluence installation directory, first of all, don't as it will cause you pain on upgrade, secondly, where are you adding the file?

See:

It's not a plugin. I am trying to do an include from the Main Layout decorator in one of my spaces.

I added the file here: C:\confluence\confluence-3.5.9-std\confluence\includes

I've read the Velocity docs, but also found this bug:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-22849

This basically says that include does not work in the admin area. The problem with the suggested fix in that bug is that to use the patch you need to compile from the source and then redeploy Confluence, which is basically over my head at this point.

I thought it might be a pathing issue, but I've used absolute paths as well and still get the error.

0 vote
David Simpson Community Champion May 20, 2012

If you're doing this for an updated theme, why not just create a plugin -- it is surely a simpler workaround.

Also, I'd say that it's bad practice to add your own files to the installation directory -- means that upgrade is slightly harder.

Agreed. I havent created a plugin yet, so maybe now is a good time to do so. Thanks!

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

2,811 views 26 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you