Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to shrink a macro in edit mode

samuel_ballé November 21, 2016

Macros take often a lot of space in display when editing. It is not user friendly as once set most of them have no interresting display in edit mode for end user. even more, it is pollluting reading space and some users can break them easily.

I would like to have a sort of plus minus button on any macro title so I indicate if I want it displayed shrinked or not in edit mode.

Is there any plugin or functionnality that does it in confluence ?

3 answers

0 votes
Rob Woodgate
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 22, 2016

Hi Samuel,

There's nothing in Confluence that'll do what you want in Edit mode, although I can see why it would be useful if you're using those nested plugins especially.

If you want to request this functionality you can add a feature request at https://jira.atlassian.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa.

0 votes
samuel_ballé November 22, 2016

image2016-11-22 12:18:24.png

Sample of what I mean by macros taking space

Expand macro is for view mode, it has nothing usable in edit mode as it just make the used space even bigger. And in fact, in read mode I do not want it hidden ! their computed result is fine.

Some macros take a lot of space in edit mode when you would like to have a similar experience in edit mode than view mode.

I added an example in my question. Also code macro has a view shrinkable option, but in edit mode can be huge.

That is why having this expand/shrink button that memorize the last display choice in edit mode would facilitate integration by non experts of confluence.

0 votes
Rob Woodgate
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2016

Hi Samuel,

In Edit mode, macros are normally shown as a small grey rectangle, so they shouldn't take up much space. Unfortunately there's no way to hide them in Edit mode.

However, you can use the Expand macro to create an expandable section.  Add your macro to this, and then in Read mode the macro will be hidden until the user expands the section.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events