Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

how to make a URL link to open in new tab

Hi All,

I am new to Confluence and i am creating a new SPACE for my team.

I have a soft link "URL" and i am looking to open in new tab if any one click on it.

Please suggest.

Thank you in Advance.

4 answers

As a workaround in CONFLUENCE, you can use the HTML macro html_macro.png

to embed an anchor tag with a target attribute in the following fashion:

<a href="https://www.google.com/" target="_blank">The Google</a>

I have verified this technique works, as I have a deep need for opening pages in a new tab.

For some reason, the HTML macro is missing from my Confluence Cloud installation.  I only see an HTML Comment macro when I search for "HTML".

Like # people like this

There is a security vulnerability with simply tartget="_blank".

The fix is to add: 

rel="noopener noreferrer"

For further explanation read this page: How to Fix _blank Target Vulnerability | Perishable Press 

Like Azfar Masut likes this

Ooooo nice tip, Monica - thank you! 

Like Monica likes this

Hi @venkat

As per our documentation LinksConfluence doesn't provide an option to configure a link to open in a new window or tab. Users can choose to right click / CTRL+click the link if they want to open it in a particular way. 

A free option is to get Link Opener for Confluence plugin in Atlassian Marketplace. 

Hope this answer can help you! 

Kind Regards,
Victoria S. | Atlassian Support

Hopefully Atlassian can do something about this as this is really very helpful to direct users from one page to another. It will really help us a lot.

Like # people like this

I just proposed the plugin to our Confluence staff, I think it's ok to let a user decide wether or not he or she wants to open internal and/or external links in a new window.

Ctrl+Click does not work for this (at least in Confluence and JIRA), it seems like the shortcut was intentionally disabled because it should work by default but it doesn't.

I wonder why such a basic and simple functionality cannot be implemented for such a long time? Is there any particular reason for that?

Any accidental click and you are forced to reload Jira page again, which is slow because Jira app takes a lot of time to load. That's insane.

Like # people like this

This seems like basic functionality especially from a documentation perspective. Is there any backlog item for this at Atlassian?

Like # people like this

I like to make external links open in a new tab.  Letting the user decide would be great, if there was some contextual hint that a link was for an external site.

Like # people like this

This would be useful user-based setting, let users choose link behavior. 

Interestingly enough, I believe Jira has this feature for external links (in the user profile settings) so I'm curious why Confluence doesn't. 

We were able to create a custom user macro using the script that Atlassian provides here (https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/how-to-force-links-to-open-in-a-new-window-213518072.html) that works on a page-by-page basis, which is helpful for space admins to control within the context of their spaces (instead of across all of Confluence)

While it helps, it doesn't solve the per-user use case entirely.

There's also some additional links to marketplace apps on the feature request here - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-11194

Hey Atlassian, We need an option to set individual links to open in a new tab/window in Confluence Cloud please!

Like # people like this

Again, just give us a context hint so that I know that I should right-click and select "Open in New Tab", like you see nearly everywhere else, a subtle:512px-External_link_font_awesome.svg.png

Like # people like this

Depending on the scenario, you can also use the macro "UI Button", which lets you decide whether to open a link in a new window. 

This is such a simple request but you are choosing to be stubborn, Atlassian. Confluence is such an outdated tool. You are lucky to have such market share, but it won't always remain this way. Multiuser simultaneous edit is not even possible, which really makes this a legacy too that I run into every now and then as a consultant, but never a tool I would champion. Best of luck in the 2020s.

Actually, simultaneous edit has been working for awhile.  At least a year or so?

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Confluence

Confluence: Where work and wellness meet

Feeling overwhelmed by the demands of work and life? With a 25% increase in the prevalence of anxiety and depression worldwide during the pandemic, for most of us, it’s a resounding yes . 🙋‍♀️ ...

725 views 5 21
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you