how to install confluence 6.3.1 on mac system?

Varughese Cherian August 2, 2017

Hi, 

I have to install and run confluence 6.3.1 on mac book. Do we have step by step installation instructions? 

I referred an old install doc and installed the package. Howeevr, running localhost throws the following error:

HTTP Status 500 - java.lang.IllegalStateException: Spring Application context has not been set

Would be great if I get some information regarding this error .

2 answers

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 3, 2017

Hello Varurghese!

Per our Installing a Confluence Trial guide: 

Apple Mac isn't supported for production sites, but if you're comfortable setting up applications on your Mac from scratch, you can download the tar.gz file and follow the instructions for Installing Confluence on Linux from Archive File as the process is similar.

Since Mac OS X is not technically supported for production instances, this is the reason you weren't able to find a more up-to-date version of the documentation you discovered.

Let us know if you have any trouble following the linked process above!

Kind Regards,
Shannon

KSC January 1, 2018

Is an OS X version planned? To work with a Windows VM is not my wish.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 1, 2018

No, so it's the same answer as Shannon gave - use the Linux download and guides.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 2, 2018

Nic is correct. When running Confluence on Mac OS X you can use the Linux version. This is not officially supported as a production instance, but it will work in the same way.  I have been running Confluence Server on my MacBook for years as a test instance, and I haven't run into any issues.

We do not have any plans currently to directly support macOS for Confluence Server, and you can read the reasoning in this feature request:

Let us know if you have any further questions!

Regards,

Shannon

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2017

Why are you using an old install doc?  It's likely to have given you inappropriate instructions and that's what is causing the error.

The most common cause of that error is that you've told it to use the wrong version of java, but it can be file permissions too, and some other things.

Neither of those will go wrong if you download and install 6.3.1 and follow the current installation guide. 

Varughese Cherian August 2, 2017

Thanks, Nic. Yes, I used an old install doc. I have 6.3.1 but could not locate the current install guide :-(. Would be great if you can share the link to the latest install guide on Mac.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 2, 2017

When you click "download" on the download section, you're taken to a page with links to all sorts of guides on it, including the installation guide.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events