how to implement Child page get inherit page restrictions from parent page

Charankumar Pulipampula May 20, 2019

For example i have created one space(ABC)

In Space i have created pages like x,y,z 

I have created child pages under x page as p,q,r

I have given the page restriction with edit and view to G(group)

Then p,q,r pages will get the same restriction, if not how can i implement 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2019

Hello @Charankumar Pulipampula 

This topic is explained in detail in confluence, so I will only refer to the confluence docs.

View restrictions are inherited by child pages and edit restrictions are *not* inherited by child pages, hence if you want to add edit restrictions on child pages you will need to do that explicitly. 

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2019
Like Charankumar Pulipampula likes this
Charankumar Pulipampula May 20, 2019

Thanks a lot Tarun for your response,

I would like to give the same edit restrictions to child pages by default when the child page created. How can i do  

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2019

Hello @Charankumar Pulipampula 

Currently default inheritance of edit restrictions is an open request with Atlassian.

You can also vote on it

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-5095

But since this a common requirement, hence there are some paid plugins supporting this

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/Making-edit-restrictions-inherited/qaq-p/889917

0 votes
Shannon Meehan _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 22, 2019

Hi @Charankumar Pulipampula , 

As Tarun mentioned, there are some apps that can help you accomplish this and Scroll Documents is one of them. Full disclosure, I work on the team at K15t who manages this app. 

But the way it works is you can apply restrictions to the whole page tree in a simple way by defining that page tree as a document. So your document would consist of: 

X (Parent page) 

• P (Child)
  • Q (Child) 
  • R (Child) 

Then you would have a UI that lets you set the view or edit restrictions in one step and this includes being able to update the edit restrictions so that P, Q, and R also inherit those edit restrictions. As Tarun noted, you can't do this in Confluence alone (at the moment). You can read more about how the restrictions in Scroll Documents works here

Of course, this isn’t the only functionality of the app. You can also version page trees, set workflow statuses, send read requests, and export to PDF or Word with our Scroll Exporter apps, and more. 

If you have any questions, we'd be happy to help or show you a demo of the app. Just get in touch with us: hello@k15t.com.

Cheers, 

Shannon (K15t)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events