how to give orphaned pages a parent

John Steffens December 4, 2014

We have some orphaned pages that I would like to re-associate with the space that they reside in.  Also any new pages that get created are being created as orphaned pages in this space.  

2 answers

1 vote
Jonathan Simonoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2014

You can also find and parent orphan pages by going to the Reorder Pages function in Space Tools.  Simply drag each orphan to its new place in the hierarchy.  Orphans appear as top-level pages along with the space's home page.

By default, new pages are parented to the page users were on when they choose Create.  The most common case where I've seen people create unparented pages is when they don't go to a space where they can add a page before choosing Create – if users typically choose Create from the Dashboard, for example, and then choose the target space in the resulting dialog, then they can easily create orphans.  I don't know a way out of that, other than user education and rescuing orphans by hand. Ideally, users are trained to go to the page that should contain their information before choosing Create.

Deleted user September 16, 2020

I am in the space where I want to create a new page. And yet, any new page I create becomes a new orphan.

I also cannot reorder pages in this space.

This behavior is unique to one space only. When I go to this space, the typical options for editing, sharing, etc. on the top right hand of the page are not showing. I have attached a screen shot.

Thanks for ideas in advance.

Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 10.10.52 AM.png

1 vote
Peter Bengov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2014

Tools > Move

Start typing the name of the parent inside New parent page

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events