how to fix the column width in confluence tables

Hi There,

I have 7 tables on a page that need to be separated because they are each important checklists with different purposes.  However, it reads poorly visually BECAUSE the tables each have 3 columns but the columns vary in width among the tables.  https://womply.atlassian.net/wiki/display/BD/MCPS+-+TSR+Spec+-+CHECKLIST

Is there a way to select the width of the columns in the tables?

Thanks so much.

Luke Chapman - lchapman@womply.com

9 answers

Hi Luke,

I don't know why the other answers are telling you to use a macro or code something, but this is entirely possible in Confluence.

In the table toolbar there is a dropdown on the left hand side that says Responsive".  If you click it, you can change it to Fixed width.  This means that the columns in your table will display with the width you've chosen, no matter what the screen resolution or platform.  If you leave it as Responsive, the table will be rendered with whatever column widths the browser thinks are right.

You can change the width of columns by selecting a column line and moving it left or right.

Hi Rob, I don't see "Responsive." I am on v 5.7.1.

What version are you using?

Hi Christine,

I'm using the Cloud version, but this functionality has been added to the Server version (see here for the 6.4 docs on tables).

When this was added to Server I don't know, but after 5.7, certainly, as that's quite an old version.....

The feature is in v 6.3. it is still a bit ugly.

I've found an easy way of doing this, for Server 5.7.3. 

All you have to do is:

Add width="n" into the <th> tag at the beginning of the code.

For example:

<th width="100">Column Name</th>

In the code this looks like:

<table>
<tbody>
<tr>
<th width="200">Field</th>
<th>Description</th>
</tr>

Do this for all columns or just the one you want to keep at a fixed width.

So for two columns you could have:

<table>
<tbody>
<tr>
<th width="200">Field</th>
 <th width="500">Description</th>
 <th>Description</th>
</tr>

I did this yesterday and it's still working today, so it must be right! smile

Cheers.

You might want to vote for this issue: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-3393

It is outstanding for almost 10 years now. Hopefully Atlassian will get around to it sooner than later.

where do we need to add this code?

Hi Luke, this is not Atlassian Support, so we can't access your system. You can contact them in support.atlassian.com. If you would like help from the community here - you can add a screenshot :)

Hi Luke,

This currently isn't possible natively in Confluence, but is possible using the Table Plus Macro which is part of the Advanced Tables for Confluence plugin.  References to this:

1.) https://bobswift.atlassian.net/wiki/display/TBL/Controlling+the+Width+of+Table+Columns

2.) https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/305897

I haven't used this particular macro yet so if you are able to use it and it works, please let us know.

Good luck!

Hey Luke,

I'm not sure if you have found a solution to your issue. One way to constraint the content in the table in to use the Column Macro in the cell, then embed your content in macro. You will be able constrain width of each column based on the value you input into the Column macro.

Please add the word "confluence" to the title.

This description applies only to Confluence, but it's the top Google result when trying to find info on how to fix column widths in JIRA. 

Hey David, I added 'Confluence' to the title (on behalf of Luke). Hopefully that'll help in future Google searches.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

374 views 20 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you