how to fix the column width in confluence tables

Luke Chapman February 9, 2015

Hi There,

I have 7 tables on a page that need to be separated because they are each important checklists with different purposes.  However, it reads poorly visually BECAUSE the tables each have 3 columns but the columns vary in width among the tables.  https://womply.atlassian.net/wiki/display/BD/MCPS+-+TSR+Spec+-+CHECKLIST

Is there a way to select the width of the columns in the tables?

Thanks so much.

Luke Chapman - lchapman@womply.com

12 answers

21 votes
Rob Woodgate
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2017

Hi Luke,

I don't know why the other answers are telling you to use a macro or code something, but this is entirely possible in Confluence.

In the table toolbar there is a dropdown on the left hand side that says Responsive".  If you click it, you can change it to Fixed width.  This means that the columns in your table will display with the width you've chosen, no matter what the screen resolution or platform.  If you leave it as Responsive, the table will be rendered with whatever column widths the browser thinks are right.

You can change the width of columns by selecting a column line and moving it left or right.

Christine Diamond September 8, 2017

Hi Rob, I don't see "Responsive." I am on v 5.7.1.

What version are you using?

Like # people like this
Rob Woodgate
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2017

Hi Christine,

I'm using the Cloud version, but this functionality has been added to the Server version (see here for the 6.4 docs on tables).

When this was added to Server I don't know, but after 5.7, certainly, as that's quite an old version.....

Like adam.platek likes this
Joy_Mather November 21, 2017

The feature is in v 6.3. it is still a bit ugly.

Kimi March 25, 2020

Hi @Rob Woodgate 

There is no Fixed width option to select in the new Page style format. 

I am using Confluence Cloud and use the table heavily instead of Excel. Why in the world Confluence team just removed this feature from us. Or maybe I don't know how to use the new page format?

If there is no way to add Fixed width for Table or Page, then it would be great if someone can tell me where to create a ticket to request for this feature back.

Thanks in advance.

2020-03-25_8-46-25.jpg

Like # people like this
Rob Woodgate
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 25, 2020

Hi Kimi,

Yeah, there's lots of useful things missing now. Just another user-unfriendly update as normal with Atlassian 😂

Anyway, the way to use the old formatting, at least until they remove the option, is to copy a page that was created BEFORE the new changes. That will use the old formatting, including having the Fixed Width option for tables.

Hope that helps you.

Like # people like this
Kimi March 26, 2020

Thank you for your tips Rob.

Ill will try to do as you informed, cross fingers and hope Atlassian will give us back the freedom to design our page layout our-self with Fixed Width 

Cheers

Laura Bier April 9, 2020

do either of you have a link to an enhancement request for this? including it in a post like this might help it get some extra votes! I agreed.  It's ridiculous to not be able to have fixed width table columns. 

Like jackie_orlando likes this
Kimi April 13, 2020

Not sure if there is a ticket for it so we can vote, maybe @Luke Chapman  knows it, cos he was the one who created this thread

Joey Gibbs May 27, 2020

Thanks for all the context everybody <3

Why is it that every time I come to these forums I leave a little angrier at Atlassian?

Like # people like this
a_edel May 28, 2020

Wow, after having used Confluence tables for quite a while, I never even noticed that "Responsive" drop-down option in the toolbar next to all of the formatting tools I use all the time.  Thanks for pointing it out!

Like # people like this
Laura Bier July 28, 2020

Thanks Ben.  Voted and following.  

Curt Jackson December 6, 2020

I don't have an answer for anyone coming here looking to set fixed width values, but if like me you're looking to equalise column widths I figured it out (maybe this is common knowledge, idk)...

Column widths can be matched by selecting multiple columns (i.e. selecting two adjacent cells across two columns) then adjust the widths by dragging a column dividing line - when the mouse button is released the columns snap to an equal width.

Like # people like this
Cecilia Mattsson December 7, 2020

@Curt Jackson-Mack THANK YOU!! that really helped me!! 

Meredith Pratt May 5, 2021

It's so annoying to have that feature removed. Who would make such a decision?

Like # people like this
2 votes
Mick Davidson
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 9, 2015

I've found an easy way of doing this, for Server 5.7.3. 

All you have to do is:

Add width="n" into the <th> tag at the beginning of the code.

For example:

<th width="100">Column Name</th>

In the code this looks like:

<table>
<tbody>
<tr>
<th width="200">Field</th>
<th>Description</th>
</tr>

Do this for all columns or just the one you want to keep at a fixed width.

So for two columns you could have:

<table>
<tbody>
<tr>
<th width="200">Field</th>
 <th width="500">Description</th>
 <th>Description</th>
</tr>

I did this yesterday and it's still working today, so it must be right! smile

Cheers.

1 vote
Jyo J November 12, 2015

where do we need to add this code?

1 vote
Benj April 13, 2015

You might want to vote for this issue: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-3393

It is outstanding for almost 10 years now. Hopefully Atlassian will get around to it sooner than later.

Kimi May 28, 2020

Thanks Benj, the ticket is now closed https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-3393

0 votes
PaulM February 22, 2022

Hi Luke,

In my limited experience of using Confluence I've observed that if the table is rendered in full screen width, either purposely or inadvertently, that I've been unable to resize existing column widths. This can be very annoying for readability, especially where columns ram full of text become rendered with narrow widths. This and similar observations are described by a bug/issue reference number 67831.

In my experience, the workaround has been to insert an additional table column, subsequently to manually copy the contents of one of the existing columns into the new column, and finally to delete the original column if desired. Though somewhat laborious, this has the effect of then making it possible to resize any of the columns.

It worked for me anyway, hope this tip is of some benefit to you and other Confluence users

Best Regards

Paul

0 votes
vaibhav_raverkar October 11, 2019

I was facing a similar issue.

Here is what I tried, make sure the first row of the table is not merged. Post that tries to resize the width and see if that works.

0 votes
vaibhav.kamble July 17, 2019
<th style="width="20%!importent;">Column Name</th>
0 votes
TomC
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 6, 2017

Hey David, I added 'Confluence' to the title (on behalf of Luke). Hopefully that'll help in future Google searches.

0 votes
Dave S_ February 6, 2017

Please add the word "confluence" to the title.

This description applies only to Confluence, but it's the top Google result when trying to find info on how to fix column widths in JIRA. 

0 votes
Dawn DiAnda June 14, 2016

Hey Luke,

I'm not sure if you have found a solution to your issue. One way to constraint the content in the table in to use the Column Macro in the cell, then embed your content in macro. You will be able constrain width of each column based on the value you input into the Column macro.

0 votes
TomC
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 9, 2015

Hi Luke,

This currently isn't possible natively in Confluence, but is possible using the Table Plus Macro which is part of the Advanced Tables for Confluence plugin.  References to this:

1.) https://bobswift.atlassian.net/wiki/display/TBL/Controlling+the+Width+of+Table+Columns

2.) https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/305897

I haven't used this particular macro yet so if you are able to use it and it works, please let us know.

Good luck!

0 votes
Peter Bengov
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 9, 2015

Hi Luke, this is not Atlassian Support, so we can't access your system. You can contact them in support.atlassian.com. If you would like help from the community here - you can add a screenshot :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events