how to display specific columns and rows only with office excel macro

I would like to display only rows 4-8 and columns 4-8 of my excel sheet, using the office excel marco. How do i specify this detail of specific rows and coloums, while using the excel macro.

It takes only the last row and last column. And assumes first row/column to be 0. Is there a way to specify the first row and column also?

COuld someone please help me figure out, how to do this?

Thanks

Sunny

4 answers

Hi Sunny,

when the developer did not include the options, you can't. Two ways I can think of to work with that :

1. Set up an "export" tab in the excel file and build a "mirror table" there, starting at A1 and containing only the data you want. Fine for reading. If you want to write back into the source tabs in excel, that might need some doing though. You would need an excel vb-macro, which writes back the changed values into the originial cells and resets the export-tab formulas.
  2. You extend the excel macro to change its behaviour. If you cant do it yourself, make it a request in Jira and vote for it, hoping it will get attention by Confluence.

I hope, that helps. Maybe someone else has more.

Hi Sunny,

the Excel macro always shows the tab that was previously open while saving the document. That's why Josh's solution would work. I just don't understand why you would need some VB macros. If you linked the desired cell with cells in the "export tab" you would only need to apply changes to the original tab, open the export tab, save the document and close the Excel file... That way the updated export tab would be shown in Confluence...

This is just about viewing the Excel file not writing values back like what you could do in earlier versions with the "Edit in office", right?

So long,

Christian

@Christian - The VB macros would be for writing back (and overwriting the "sourceformular" in the field :

* Example : Celll "A1" = "sourcetab!C42". Once change the value of A1, that is broken.

Your workaround of "editing the source-cell" will certainly work as well, but does require additional steps by the user.

Regards,

Josh

Bob Swift's Excel Plugin gives you more power than the normal Office Connector Plugin. It does cost money however: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/org.swift.confluence.excel

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

2,798 views 26 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you