how to change background color inside a confluence (Layout) section

Alex Kulichkov July 16, 2021

Hello Everyone!

We have a need to modify Background color of a layout section in confluence page.

We are working on a page design and Panel macro seems a bit crude (Even though i'm able to use CSS  to set Header and body color if needed)

7 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
veudiniz July 16, 2021
Alex Kulichkov July 16, 2021

Thanks for the answer! 

I'm aware of this plug-in, but our use case is in prototype page, so we can't justify 7200$ just for POC that is not approved yet.

I would assume we should be able to include some css formatting into the layout section, but im not sure how to do it with native functionality.

JR February 14, 2022

In reading the documentation ( https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/styling-confluence-with-css-166528400.html ), it seems the ability to format the page with CSS has to enabled by the site administrator--

I'm also in the process of trying to solve this issue-- not entirely sure if I'm on the right path because I don't even know what version of the software I'm using.

2 votes
Patricia Modispacher _appanvil_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 23, 2024

Hey there @Alex Kulichkov ! I know this question was a while back, but it might still be relevant for you (or maybe someone else is facing the same challenge). 🛠️

Here's the deal: Confluence doesn't have a built-in way to change the background color of a layout section directly. But there's a free add-on called Karma that can help you out.

Karma offers pre-designed templates and layouts, many of which include customizable backgrounds. You can explore the available templates and see if one suits your design needs.🎨

iScreen Shoter - 20240423142509309.jpg  iScreen Shoter - 20240423142523453.jpg
 iScreen Shoter - 20240423142550724.jpg iScreen Shoter - 20240423142459664.jpg

Additionally, Karma allows some level of customization within templates, so you might be able to modify the background color within a chosen template.

Here's a link to Karma on the Atlassian Marketplace.

And if you are looking for a pro-level of support for your Confluence page design needs, you can simply fill out this form to take part in the great format "Pimp My Site". Companies like Released and Appfire have taken part already. Maybe you will be next. 

0 votes
John_Morales June 13, 2023

every solution is a custom plugin and costly over time..... !!!! UGH !!!

0 votes
sekhar reddy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2023

Hi @Alex Kulichkov 

By using panel macros we can add colors to a particular section in a confluence page in cloud environment, I am not sure whether these are available in server/Data center versions.pannel macros.PNG

Tonie Borchardt March 20, 2024

I'm looking for this right now.  These panels take text only.  So if you're trying to put a background under child pages or other similar navigation it will not go on top of the panel.  You need to be able to color an actual panel or move a table where you want it and color that, it seems.

0 votes
Franz Reichard _Communardo_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 19, 2021

Hello @Alex Kulichkov ,

thank you for your question.

CUTE for Confluence gives you a powerful toolbox for customizing your intranet. Now you can easily add your corporate branding, upgrade your UI, and deliver a user experience that’s uniquely your own.

• With CUTE, it just takes a few clicks to add your company logo, customize color palettes, and seamlessly integrate Confluence with your other digital properties
  • All theming is applied via extensions, giving you the power to fully customize Confluence without digging into source code or worrying about upgrade compatibility
  • Our library of sample extensions offers customizable themes, headers, menus, sidebars, dashboards, and more—everything you need to build create an amazing intranet experience
  • CUTE extensions are compatible with all versions of Confluence, so you can rest easy knowing that your intranet will work seamlessly with the next Atlassian update

If you have further questions or support requests you can also contact our support directly.

Kind regards,

Franz
Communardo Support

0 votes
Nayereh Keramatnezhad July 17, 2021
Alex Kulichkov July 19, 2021

Hi Nayereh, 

Thank you for the suggestion, but we'll face similar issue as with content-formatting suggestion, 5200$ is hard to justify at the moment.

0 votes
bill_bailey July 16, 2021

Why not create a user macro to do what you want? You just have all the content surrounded by a styled div tag.

Alex Kulichkov July 19, 2021

Do you have template or something to start with? i'm more involved with process and change management.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events