how to build a table of contents

Timothy Boyer January 30, 2015

I want to build a Table of Contents out of my current Confluence pages within my project Space.

I also would not mind having an Index (where I could lookup a page by keyword).

These should be "easy", no?

5 answers

2 votes
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2015

You could label your pages and the user the content by label macro on your table of contents page. So, using your example you would labels some pages as apple and others as orange. The on the TOC page you would have two content by label macros. One would display the apples and the other would display the oranges. Is this what you are looking for ... or something similar?

1 vote
Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2015

This is done automatically for you in the left bar of any space.

Screen Shot 2015-01-30 at 1.10.00 PM.png

0 votes
Steffen Heller
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 1, 2015

@Timothy Anido

If you want to "sort" pages into categories you can simply create the necessary file structure for that:

Create two new pages (that will work like a directory) and put your apple and orange pages in there, just as you would do in Window's explorer. To move the pages you can either use Tools > Move or Browse > Pages.

0 votes
Timothy Boyer January 30, 2015

While I appreciate your answers, this does not necessarily solve my issue.

I have some 20 pages (so far), I want to "sort" them into categories so the "apples" are in one "chapter" and the "oranges" in the next. The left margin does not do this by default, and the documentation of the tool is not always clear.

0 votes
William Zanchet [Atlassian]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2015

Hey Tim,

The Table of Contents macro scans the headings on the current Confluence page to create a table of contents based on those headings. This helps readers find their way around lengthy pages, by summarising the content structure and providing links to headings.

In other words, you need to have headings to be able to build a table of contents.

Cheers,
WZ

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events