I thought I could put square brackets on my confluence page by escaping the bracket...like \[ but, that just shows a \[ on the page. and if i do  two in a row, I get a task. I thought I could do two in a row and then back arrow to get between them - no. Is my only option to go into the source and edit?
thanks in advance
That still seems pretty hackish. That's not really a feature, you're simply breaking the buffer stream that the WYSIWYG logic is using. Atlassian ought to create a controlled escape mechanism, just to avoid the inevitable change in interpretation by the enduser OS/Browser.
@Kyle, Agreed, as Dale's solution does not work for me either. Even using <esc>, which was my first guess to get [text text], command-z still deletes everything I typed.
What did work was opening TextEdit, typing what i needed there, then copying/pasting it back to Confluence. :/
Also works is the suggestion below:
[<esc> text text \]
I'm beginning to really regret our purchase of Confluence because of silly stuff like this. Mostly because I have to try and explain away brain damaged usage behavior.
It should be: \[text\]
No more - no less, instead of having to rely on what seems to be an undocumented magical incantation.
Also, while moving over from an older MoinMoin wiki, there doesn't seem to be a way to script the regexes to easily handle this - leaving it to be a manual task.
Atlassian developers, I beg that you stop focusing on new-new-new, and fix the silly broken stuff like this that would make existing users happy. To leave this broken really does bring to light that things like this just aren't a priority. Another thing, is please bring Jira Software up to speed with Confluence markup capabilities, such as macros (*cough*inline code blocks*cough*).
For the scripting issue, you could use Bob Swift. I've actually used that with pretty good effect to create a set of pages that represent directory structures. We took all the archive files from previous workers in our group and reorganized them all so that each project had a matching org pattern. (Previously, the organization of the files was pretty much reinvented for each project, so there was no consistency.) But before we resorted all the old files, I used scripts to map the DIR output to pages in Confluence. That way if anyone wanted to know where a file used to be, what it's original size and Last Modified date, etc, they could search for it in that section of Confluence and it would come up. Took about an hour to set up the script, and the script ran for 45 seconds to generate all the pages. Turns out to be about 300 pages, each representing a folder in the old heirarchy, and each page contains the DIR output of that directory setup as links to either subdirectories or the new file location Perforce.
More and more people are building their careers with Atlassian, and we want you to be at the front of this wave! Important Dates Start the Certification Prep Course by 2 April 2019 Take your e...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find a group
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.Start an AUG
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs