frequent disk full errors - Confluence + Jira shared server

Mike Scott September 1, 2016

Hi,

I've recently upgraded the server from 16GB to 20GB after a disk full error. I then quickly got the same error and upgraded the server to 35GB. After about 6-8 weeks I now have the same error.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Mike

Here's more info:

caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Got error 28 from storage engine
    at com.mysql.jdbc.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:957)

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on

udev 3.2G 8.0K 3.2G 1% /dev

tmpfs 648M 364K 647M 1% /run

/dev/sda1 35G 32G 1.3G 97% /

none 4.0K 0 4.0K 0% /sys/fs/cgroup

none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock

none 3.2G 0 3.2G 0% /run/shm

none 100M 0 100M 0% /run/user

overflow 1.0M 1.0M 0 100% /tmp

3 answers

0 votes
Mike Scott September 3, 2016

The problem is the /tmp "overflow" being filled up to 1MB

I tried unmounting the partition, but that didn't really do anything: 

umount -l overflow

So the question I think is:

How does confluence handle the /tmp overflow?

Should I resize the /tmp partition? Or edit confluence to use the correct partition?

Anyone?

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev            3.2G  8.0K  3.2G   1% /dev
tmpfs           648M  360K  647M   1% /run
/dev/sda1        35G  9.5G   24G  29% /
none            4.0K     0  4.0K   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
none            5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
none            3.2G     0  3.2G   0% /run/shm
none            100M     0  100M   0% /run/user
overflow        1.0M  1.0M     0 100% /tmp
Roman Kirilenko
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2016

You should increase your /tmp partition size. As far as I know, Confluence don't use /tmp partition directly, but /tmp should be much bigger anyway.

Mike Scott September 6, 2016

Thanks, i'll look in to it...

0 votes
Mike Scott September 2, 2016

Hi and thanks for your reply.

I viewed the folders u specified (attachments, databases, logs) using " du -sh * " and narrowed the large files down to the confluence backup folder. The folder had daily backups of about 700MB. So i deleted the files, and rewrote confluence's cron expression so that it now only does monthly backups. Cool. My disk space is now back to normal

Filesystem    Size      Used      Avail         Use% 

/dev/sda1     35G       9.2G      24G            28%

/

So my disk space is normal. And I restarted the service. However i'm still getting the same error:

org.springframework.jdbc.UncategorizedSQLException: Hibernate operation: Could not execute query; uncategorized SQLException for SQL []; SQL state [HY000]; error code [1030]; Got error 28 from storage engine; nested exception is java.sql.SQLException: Got error 28 from storage engine
    at org.springframework.jdbc.support.AbstractFallbackSQLExceptionTranslator.translate(AbstractFallbackSQLExceptionTranslator.java:83)

caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Got error 28 from storage engine
    at com.mysql.jdbc.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:957)

Any more suggestions?

Thanks

Mike

Roman Kirilenko
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2016

This error typically points to disk space problem. As I mentioned in another comment, you should try to increase /tmp partition size. Then restart MySQL service.
Please check that you have enough space in /tmp and /var (this is the same partition in my case) before starting MySQL again:

df -h /tmp
/dev/root 30G 14G 16G 47% /

df -h /var
/dev/root 30G 14G 16G 47% /

0 votes
Roman Kirilenko
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 1, 2016

Hi!

Check your Confluence and JIRA home directories (usually /var/atlassian/application-data/confluence and /var/atlassian/application-data/jira). Disk space may be consumed by (typically):

• Attachments that users uploaded into Confluence or JIRA (stored in home directories)
  • Growing databases (check the size of your DB's)
  • Logs (check log directories size in home directories and in /opt/atlassian/* where applications typically installed)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events