fail-over options for Confluence Wiki

What options are available for adding fail-over capabilities to Confluence? I'm not worried about scalability, more about have a recently synced copy of the Wiki available in case our production Wiki isn't available.

Has anyone tried using MySQL repliction?

Is there a VM or 'snapshot' solution available?

2 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi,

I've not used MySQL replication, but I have implemented Confluence with a cold-standby for failover with Oracle dataguard and that worked well enough as manual failover with a short period of downtime (1 hour) to carry out the failover was acceptable. For that implementation we stored all of the attachments in the database so didn't need to worry about sync'ing the attachments to the failover server or back again.

We used a developer license (http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Getting+a+License+for+a+Staging+Environment) for the cold-standby and the 2 Confluence nodes were fronted by a Netscaler load balancer with traffic to the standby node disabled.

I've also implemented failover with both Confluence nodes pointed at the same database, but making sure that only one node was active at any one time and didn't get any problems with data corruption or cluster panics. That implementation also used Oracle dataguard to sync the database to a backup, but we could failover Confluence nodes without also having to failover the database.

I'd avoid VM snapshots for backups or failover as that's not what they're designed for, but if you're talking about running Confluence in a virtualised environment so you can migrate VM's if there are problems with the host then that should be fine (http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Running+Confluence+in+a+Virtualised+Environment)

Hope that's of some help?

Andrew.

This widget could not be displayed.

All good advice. Since my fail-over wiki only needs to be current within 1 day I'm thinking of doing a mysqldump from the production wiki to a network drive and then importing that to the faili-over wiki once a day.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

411 views 4 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you