Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

extracting only date from datetime

Rachi Manwal September 26, 2022

Hi, I was trying to extract only date from date time, but not sure which function to use. It would be very helpful if someone can guide.

SELECT DATEADD(DAY,1-WEEKDAY(NOW()),NOW())

output: Mon Sep 26 2022 21:09:46 GMT+0530 (India Standard Time)

expected output: I only want date "Sep 26 2022"

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Katerina Kovriga {Stiltsoft}
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 26, 2022

Hi @Rachi Manwal ,

By the provided query I assume you are using the Table Transformer macro provided by our app that is Table Filter and Charts for Confluence.

If this is so, go to the macro settings -> Settings tab -> Date format. Specify the desired output format. For example, "Sep 26 2022" corresponds the "M d yy" string (type it manually).

Then return to your query and add the FORMATDATE function before the manipulations with dates, for example, for the provided piece:

SELECT FORMATDATE(DATEADD(DAY,1-WEEKDAY(NOW()),NOW()))
FROM T1

This should help your case.

Rachi Manwal September 28, 2022

Hi @Katerina Kovriga {Stiltsoft} Thank you, I was able to extract date part from the complete date. However, greater than and smaller than are not working fine after I formatted the date.

This is the query, I have used:-

SELECT [Assigned on Date], [Supported/Approved Date]
from T2 where FORMATDATE([Assigned on Date]) >= FORMATDATE(DATEADD(DAY,1-WEEKDAY(NOW()),NOW()))
or FORMATDATE([Supported/Approved Date]) >= FORMATDATE(DATEADD(DAY,1-WEEKDAY(NOW()),NOW()))Capture.PNG

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 28, 2022

Hi @Rachi Manwal ,

As I understand now, you are trying to compare your dates with the today's date plus/minus several days.

Wed 7-1.png

For example, for this table I need only dates with a red background: today is 28 Sep 2022, so the start date will be 26 Sep 2022. It means that it will be "today - 3 days". Then every day the "today" date moves and the start date will be 27 Sep 2022, 28 Sep 2022, etc.

Here is my SQL query:

SELECT T2.'Assigned on Date', T2.'Supported/Approved Date'
FROM T2 WHERE DATEDIFF(day, 'Assigned on Date', CURRENT_TIMESTAMP) <= 3 OR
DATEDIFF(day, 'Supported/Approved Date', CURRENT_TIMESTAMP) <= 3

And here is the result:

Wed 7-2.png

As you can see, this query works without additional FORMATDATE functions and looks rather simple - hope it helps.

Rachi Manwal September 29, 2022

Actually I am comparing the dates with the current week start date, as I have to filter records which are created in the current week, and for the same I am using below query. But through this time is getting included in the comparison which is giving me incorrect results

SELECT * FROM T1
WHERE (DATEADD(DAY,0,[Assigned on Date]) >= DATEADD(DAY,1-WEEKDAY(NOW()),NOW()) AND DATEADD(DAY,0,[Assigned on Date]) <= DATEADD(DAY,7-WEEKDAY(NOW()),NOW()))

Rising Star
Rising Star
September 29, 2022

Please use the two Table Transformers for this table:

1) The internal TT will add a new column with a date that corresponds to the start of the week

SELECT *,
FORMATDATE(DATEADD(DAY,1-WEEKDAY(NOW()),NOW())) as 'Start of the week'
FROM T1

2) The external TT will compare the dates:

SELECT T1.'Assigned on Date', T1.'Supported/Approved Date'
FROM T1
WHERE T1.'Assigned on Date' >= T1.'Start of the week'
OR T1.'Supported/Approved Date' >= T1.'Start of the week'

So, it is your original query, but we simplify it (split it into two parts). In this case it works correctly for me.

Like Rachi Manwal likes this

Thank you so much, it worked but I have one query why it didn't worked with single TT

Rising Star
Rising Star
September 29, 2022

As it's not a fully functional SQL database, some complex combined queries may work unstable. Your idea was right, sorry for the inconvenience.

It's fine, thank you for the quick help

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events