excerpt include macro not rendering content when user doesn't have permission to space

Jeffrey Allen November 4, 2014

I have the following use case, which I can't seem to get the excerpt include macro to support.  Does anyone know how I can support this use case?

USE CASE:

I have two confluence spaces A and B.  I want to make some of the pages in space A available and included in space B.  To do this, I have used an excerpt macro on the content in space A and an excerpt include macro on space B to pull in that content. This works great, now here's the problem....

I have two users X and Y.  User X is an "admin" user and as such can view content in both spaces A and B (this works fine).  For user Y, I want them to see all of the content in space B (including the content I'm trying to pull in from space A using the excerpt include macro), but user Y can NOT have access to space A. 

The problem I'm running into is that because user Y does not have permission to view space A, the content I am attempting to pull into space B with the excerpt include macro does not render and instead displays an error "Error rendering macro 'excerpt-include' : User 'Y' does not have permission to view the page 'spaceA:pagename'."

Does anyone know how I could accomplish the above use case?  Your help is very much appreciated.  smile

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 4, 2014

There are a couple ways to do this. Ideally you go from least restrictive to the most restrictive. Which would mean that you have the content in in space B and include it to space A. Or you could use the Perimiter add-on.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 4, 2014

You could also have the content in a third space that everyone has access to and include it into both A and B.

0 votes
Jeffrey Allen November 5, 2014

Thanks @Davin Studer, this was super helpful!  Is there a way to do this without having the source content in space B?  The reason we want it in space A is because space A is our central repository for all of this documentation, some of which is appropriate for people who have access to space B and some of which is not.  From a content creation / maintenance perspective, it is easier for us to maintain all of the source content in one space (space A).

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 5, 2014

Did you check out the Perimiter add-on that I mentioned? I'm pretty sure tha add-on can get around the permissions issue.

Jeffrey Allen November 10, 2014

@Davin Studer - thanks so much, Perimeter seems to have worked! there's still an issue with images coming in. I think I will start a new post for that. Thanks again!

Aaron Huber December 23, 2016

Jeffrey,

Did you ever find a solution to your problem?  We have the exact same scenario and have tried Perimeter, but it will not render images. 

Thanks,

Aaron

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events