documentation intranets

Steve Hastings October 9, 2018

Hi,

We're wanting to move our clients to Confluence for their documentation intranets. Can anyone list please why Confluence makes for a better documentation intranet than SharePoint and others? It's a big, broad question I know :). I'd value any dot points you can throw on this please.

Thank you! Steve

3 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2018

Hello,

1. Sharepoint is much more complicated than Confluence in my opinion.

2. Confluence is easier to setup and easier to learn.

3. Sharepoint takes more resources to work fast enough.

4. It is easier to write your own customizations for Confluence than for Sharepoint. It took me about six months to understand how to customize Sharepoint.

If it worths somethings, I had the Application Sharepoint Developer (MCSD) certificate and pass the two Sharepoint Administration official Microsoft exams.

But that is only my opinion. There are advantages of Sharepoint. The main advantage is that it is well integrated in the Microsoft ecosystem.

Steve Hastings October 10, 2018

Thank you Alexey! Much appreciated. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 10, 2018

I would add "instant publication" to that list.  I create or edit a page in my browser and click "save" and the changes are there for someone to read immediately.  In sharepoint, you have to download a doc, edit it locally, upload it again, and hope that people take the time to download and read the new version.

Steve Hastings October 10, 2018

Thank you Nic! Yep, instant publication is a major plus. 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hong T January 2, 2019

Agree with Alex. Additionally, I would add:

- Traceability on the update of the document by allowing the user to comment on the post. This way, it is easy to figure out why a change is made because of which comment. 

Steve Hastings January 2, 2019

Thank you Hong! A great point. Kind Rgds, Steve

0 votes
Marin
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 25, 2023

@Steve Hastings you should try https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1230540/cosmos-intranet-for-confluence-free?hosting=cloud&tab=overview. It's a free app and covers an intranet use case for Confluence.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events