different permissions on pages in a space

The way our business uses confluence, we have a since shared confluence instance throughout the company. Each team, group and person can create a Space as needed. 

Our team wants to create a Wiki with both internal and external page permissions (in team vs not in team). Sounds like this is possible but requires a larger Space permission first. Is that something I,creator of the Space, can set? Or do I need our Confluence instance Admin to do this for me? As well as all the additions to the Space as needed?

Is there Documentation someone can point me in the direction of?

2 answers

0 vote

Yes.  First, you need to grant everyone access to see the space, as a space creator.

Then, assuming they have the "restrict" permission, your users can create pages which are read-only or even hidden, and their child pages will take on the same visibility.  It's quite common to see spaces which have the simple approach - open to all, but with a top-level page named something like "internal only" with the view restricted to an internal users group.

create a Space with Permissions controlled access "open but login access"   i.e. access is open to "confluence users" .. that means any person who has their own User account in your system can access the Space.

Now the Home page create two pages

"Team Only"

"Everyone"

On "Team Only" page, set Page Restrictions for the View type to your team members - either by individual name or if you have also created a Permissions Group with your team members.
Any page you create as a Child to "Team only" will automatically inherit the same View Restriction.

Leave "Everyone" page without any View Restrictions

Your team will now see both pages (and their children) at the home page,
whilst non-team members will only see one page ("Everyone" and its children)

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

355 views 20 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you