Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

different edit modes personal space vs. pages

Raphael Kösters October 21, 2021

Hi everybody,

I was wondering, if there are different types of sites.

In the edit mode of my personal space I can insert macros by using {macroname}. When I create a new page, the edit mode doesn't support this function. I have to use /macroname instead. This ristricts me, because I am not so free in creating my personal space. Other supporting auto processes also different. Usually, by inserting an URL you can choose, if it is shown as inline-text or view etc... That doesn't work in my personal space. Just the URL will be shown.

Any ideas?

Best, Raphael

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jessica
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 22, 2021

Hi Raphael!

Hope you are doing well and having a great day!

About the ability to find or insert macros using {macroname or /macroname shortcuts, this is a difference that exists between the new editor and the legacy editor.

The shortcut {macroname only works on the legacy editor, while /macroname on the new editor.

What could be happening here is that some pages of your personal space were created using the legacy editor, while on other places in the site, it was used the new editor instead, and vice versa, which could be causing some issues or confusion there.

In the legacy editor, pasting a URL link for google drive, for example, won't work to show it as inline, text or card, because this is a feature only supported in the new editor.

However, it is possible to convert legacy editor pages into the new editor, upon editing it and clicking on the message "you can now convert your existing pages to the new editing experience." which is usually on the bottom of the page or above the page title. :)

For new pages, you should be able to create pages in the new editor already, unless you specify on the search template box, that you want to use the legacy editor instead:
legacy_template_ineditor.png

On the image above, is an example of a page in the new editor, but which you can choose to switch to the legacy editor, which seems to be the same editor you are using in your personal space.

I hope that helps clarify the differences and why this is happening only in your personal space currently.

If you need any additional information or would like to clarify any other questions between the differences on the legacy and new editor, please don't hesitate to ask!

Kindest Regards,
Jessica

Raphael Kösters October 25, 2021

Hi @Jessica Thanks for your helpful response. I am afraid that the old editor cannot be used as a template in my version. I have searched for it, but it does not show up as a template.

grafik.png

Jessica
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 25, 2021

Thank you for your reply and for giving it a try, Raphael!

It is possible that at some point, the site had the legacy editor available, but it is no longer there.

As a workaround, if you want to keep using the legacy editor pages (the ones that use the {macroname shortcut), you can do a copy of the page and modify and publish it.

Since you don't have it available when searching for template, by default, all pages are created with the new editor, which will use the /macroname shortcut and make the URL link card with options to appear on the page. :)

You can also check by the URL while in edit mode to differentiate which editor is which:

Legacy editor: https://<instancename>.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/<spacekey>/pages/edit/pageidhere

New Editor: 

https://<instancename>.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/<spacekey>/pages/edit-v2/pageidhere

If you really need to have the legacy editor though, to be used and the workaround is not a feasible solution, you can ask your site-Admin to open a Support ticket with us at https://support.atlassian.com/contact/ and we can check with the Site-admin if that would be a possibility to have it on your site.

Cheers,
Jessica

Raphael Kösters October 26, 2021

@Jessicagreat, thanks for the hint that the copy-function still allows to use the legacy editor. I know there is or was already a ticket about the new editor, where a lot was commented about the functions of the old/legacy editor. Personally, I find that the macros in the old editor allow pages to be designed more beautifully and individually than in the new editor.

Best, Raphael

Like Kishan Sharma likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events