Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

create a form on my wiki which enters data into a fillable pdf... am i dreaming?

dan f. August 6, 2015

Hello, 

first some background: My university is making the switch to confluence, and i'm trying to test the limits to its powers. we have to go through some pretty tedious inventory procedures, and i'd like to build a wiki page that removes alot of redundant work.

on the wiki page i want a few fields. so a person can type, say, the make, model, and serial number of an object then press "submit" the data would then be moved over to a fillable PDF (we MUST use the fillable pdf as a requirement of a different department) in the correct fields. someone else who has similar data to enter should be able to enter it in the same way, where their data would then be recorded in the PDF on the line below (it's kind of an excel sheet) rather than saving over the previous person's work. the filled PDF would then need to be made available to administrators.

the skinny:

how do i make a fillable, submittable field on a wiki page?

how do i direct the submitted data to be entered onto a fillable PDF template?

how do i ensure the entered data goes into the right places on the PDF, and when more data is entered it goes into the NEXT right place on the pdf (the next row down)?

how do i make the wiki start filling out a new pdf when all the fields have been filled?

how do i make the pdf available so it can be downloaded and printed by an admin(or any user)?

thank you for your time and thoughtful responses!

2 answers

1 vote
Midori
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2015

I'm not sure if Confluence is the right tool for this, and I don't think this is doable at all.

JIRA, obviously, supports strongly typed custom fields, input forms via Issue Collector that can be embedded to external websites and powerful PDF exports with the PDF View Plugin (samples). You could even integrate them by embedding the form to Confluence, and by emailing the PDF documents to the user with the PDF Automation Plugin, so that it gives an experience that keeps JIRA in the background, but the created issues are reportable, trackable, configurable and have real workflow.

0 votes
Milo Test
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 6, 2015

If you're dreaming, we're sharing the same dream!

One potential avenue is that both Confluence and Acrobat can speak JavaScript and data should be able to be sent between them with a SOAP request.

How we get there is for someone smarter than me though.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events