connect Confluence to domain name

I am using IP address to connect to confluence I want to configure Confluence so anybody can use domain name like http://help.brookfieldgis.com to connect it.

The network team already setup the domain and it works for other web application , so I only need to configure confluence to use that domain 

2 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

This is a networking question, rather than Confluence.

You'll need to get the domain name from a provider, and get it pointed to your IP address, then you'll be able to set the Confluence base url to that and it'll work.  Depending on your networking requirements, it could be a lot more complex (For example, I run one at home, so my domain points effectively to my router, which is then configured to send incoming connections on to a proxy server, which then forwards requests on to Confluence, JIRA etc)

It is more than a networking question. I have additional questions about it. I know all about domain and DNS routing.

1. What do we have to do in config XML for this to work.
  2. Should JIRA (internal tomcat web server) be the only web server running on this machine. You can't have IIS listening on the same port 80 or 443 while JIRA's tomcat is also listening to the same ports right?

It's really not much more than a networking connection.  Set your network up to pass the traffic to where you're running your Confluence.  You don't need to do anything with the config.xml or Confluence settings, other than setting the base url correctly in the general configuration screen.

This will run fine on the default port of 8090.

If you don't want to have to add the 8090 to the url though, you will need to either move it to port 80, or do some proxying.  Moving to 80 does mean you can't run other services - ports can only be used by one service at a time.  To move ports, yes, open server.xml and change the 8090 you find in there to 80.  Restart Tomcat.  You may have security issues though (e.g. Linux boxes have a tendency to say "only root can run services on ports below 1024"), and if you put a Tomcat straight on the internet on port 80, you're begging to be hacked...

This widget could not be displayed.

Piggybacking on @Nic Brough [Adaptavist], it could be as simple as adding the help. subdomain and pointing it to the Confluence instance. If your company hosts the website on their servers, your IT folk will have to set it up. If, more likely, your website is hosted in the cloud (GoDaddy, AWS, etc.), then it's little more than the click of a button to configure the subdomain.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

405 views 4 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you