confluence

ziraat ertquake
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 29, 2024

For my users, I have a documentation site. I want to migrate my site to your system. I create the documents myself. Which of your packages would be suitable for these tasks?

3 answers

1 vote
Kristian Klima
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 29, 2024

Hi @ziraat ertquake and welcome.

It all depends on how many users you want to have in your Confluence.

For the purposes of product documentation, you can really start with Confluence Free which is good for up to 10 users.

About 2 years ago, I actually built a documentation site using Confluence Free and some Confluence apps that you can get from Atlassian Marketplace.

There are many apps dedicated to technical / product documentation that are free for 1-10 user licenses (Free or Standard).

The only downside to Confluence Free is that you can't make the Confluence spaces public. But you can still create a public documentation site with an app called Scroll Viewport by k15t.

It is a paid app but greatly expands Confluence.

Disclaimer: I don't work for K15t but I use their products at work.

0 votes
Kristian Klima
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 3, 2024

@ziraat ertquake 

So, as for restrictions.

Free Confluence allows you to add up to 10 users who would be able to work with you on the content. You can't give them user-specific permissions, but if you're looking for a collaborative environment, that's OK.

There aren't many technical/feature restrictions in free Confluence when it comes to the free version. For working with content, it's pretty much the same.

The differences are in administration features (such as user permissions).

Frankly, as Confluence is free, just set up one and fool around, ask questions here to see if it works for you.

Now, for moving the content. Confluence has an import feature which allows you to import spaces from other Confluence sites (Cloud, Server) in the XML format.

I know it is possible to import MediaWiki content into Confluence (there are paid services that can do that) and I worked for a company that created its own conversion tool to import AIT xml exports into Confluence.

Basically, what you need is to convert an XML export into a Confluence-compatible XML file. It may be worth spending time on or it may be faster to just copy-paste your content into Confluence page by page.

Another options is importing Word docx files (you can import more at once).

Either way, as with any migration between the tools, a post-migration cleanup is inevitable.

Confluence Cloud is pretty good in accepting copy-paste content (I did 200 pages from Zendesk to Confluence in about 2 weeks including cleanup) so it's not that hard :)

0 votes
ziraat ertquake
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 1, 2024

Hello Kristian Klima,

Thank you for your response. I currently own a domain and a MediaWiki website with a significant number of pages. I'm contemplating a switch to Confluence but am unsure about the required steps to successfully transfer my data from MediaWiki to Confluence. Additionally, I've observed user restrictions in the Confluence plans. Could you please clarify what these are about? As a solo developer, I'm trying to understand if I need to consider these restrictions. My aim is to ensure that my content is globally accessible to all my visitors.

Kristian Klima
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 1, 2024

Hi @ziraat ertquake Sure, I'll put smth together. You can also join Write The Docs on Slack, there's a dedicated Confluence channel there too and you can meet people there who crossed the lines between various CMS tools, it could be a useful resource.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events