It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

confluence on windows

I have inherited a confluence data center cluster 

that was deployed on linux using a windows file share, 

because of this it is an unsupported configuration.

I am looking to patch the confluence app server but past attempts have broken the application. 

I am not familiar with what broke but in short the data on the shared mount was deleted. 

Any one else trying this with notes on what I need to look out for

1 answer

0 votes

Hello @marshawnm,

Welcome to Atlassian Community! It's nice to meet you.

Could you let me know a little more about how your site was originally deployed? I assume you're using the Windows file share as a place to store your home directory and other files?

This setup should work fine, because as long as Confluence has the right permissions, it can store its home directory anywhere that the system can access as the executable user. Permission can be an issue here though. I have also heard from another engineer that symlinks, which most Samba installations depend on, may cause Confluence to break.

Can you let me know what kind of behavior you were experiencing when it started to fail? Was this before or after you noticed there were missing files? Confluence shouldn't have deleted the content on the mount. We would need to be more familiar with your system to know what might have had access to those files.

Do you have a backup of your content from this Confluence site? It would be best to setup Confluence from the start and restore your content, then if you want to move the home directory back to a share, you can do that from a known working Confluence installation.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Confluence

Lessons and Learnings: Six Months of Working Remote [Discussion]

Hey there, folks! For most of us, the past six months- yes, you read that right- have been a journey. More people than ever before have pivoted to working remotely, and navigating being on-scre...

4,120 views 4 6
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you