confluence mail queue not flushing

Robert Nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2015

Hi all,

In Confluence my mail queue does not seems to be operating correctly.  There are about 80 messages dating back about 1 week.  I checked the scheduled jobs and flush mail queue is scheduled every minute.  ALso I flush it manually and 1 email is sent out.  I look in the logs and all I have is: "doFlush Queue was sending - skipped mail flush this time.",  which is because it sent only 1 email out, so I clicked it many times, and then it displays that warning and sends nothing.

I have seen this a lot in the previous requests, but no real answers short of reboot the system.

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/9878125

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/311122

I know I can add com.atlassian.confluence.mail to logging and profiling but that is only for sent email.  Once it is sent it is good, I need one for monitoring the flushing of the queue.

Any help is always appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
William Zanchet [Atlassian]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2015

Hi Robert,

Usually problem related with queue is not flushing, could be low memory and index culprit. To try to track this down, would you mind doing a rebuild of the content index from scratch? I believe it should do the trick there.

I highly suggest that you schedule a downtime to perform it, because after the restart your users will not have the search available due the rebuild of the indexes.

# Shut down your Confluence server.

# (!) Make a backup of your <confluence-home>/index/plugin directory if it exists. This is where the Usage Tracking plugin stores it's index for the usage statistics and it cannot be rebuilt.

# (!) If you're in Confluence 4.2 onwards, make a backup of your <confluence-home>/index/edge directory if it exists. This is where the index of Likes and Popular Content are stored and cannot be rebuilt.

# Remove the <confluence-home>/index directory.

# If in step 2, you have the <confluence-home>/index/plugin directory, create the <confluence-home>/index directory and copy in the backup of <confluence-home>/index/plugin directory made in step 2.

# If in step 3, you have the <confluence-home>/index/edge directory, create the <confluence-home>/index directory and copy in the backup of <confluence-home>/index/edge directory made in step 3.

# Remove the <confluence-home>/journal/ folder

# Restart server.

(i) A new index directory will be created upon restart of your application if it does not exist.

# Now perform the *manual re-indexing* of your site to build a brand new index from scratch by going to _Cog Icon > Confluence Admin > Content Indexing_.

Cheers,

WZ

Robert Nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 15, 2015

Agreed with after hours, hope to do it tonight. I have a set of things I do for Confluence problems (Hercules, google, previously answered answers.atlassian.com, reboot, etc) I used to rebuild them from scratch every other month or so need to add that back. Thanks! I will check it answered if it works. As far as memory, I have 4 GB on a Cent OS 7 box that's only purpose is to run Confluence. I can add more if need, the "top" command shows %MEM hanging around the 67% area.

Robert Nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 28, 2015

Awesome, seems to have worked.

0 votes
Robert Nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 15, 2015

Also a quick note, when I do flush it is does send the email and when it gets down to under 40 or so it start sending them out in larger chucks (around 20 at a time or so). Is there a way to set how much email it sends out at once?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events