This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Managing Files

Hi

in Confluence I have an excel file

Is there a way to check the file out so other users know that I have it open and I'm working in it?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Steven Behnke Community Champion Aug 12, 2016

No, Confluence doesn't offer this feature or capability. There are no add-ons that I know of that can do this on Confluence Cloud, but you may consider searching the marketplace. There IS an add-on for on-premise installations though, if you ever consider migrating off Cloud.

On Confluence Cloud you could use page permissions to restrict editing of the page, however that would effectively 'checkout' everything in the page and all the files attached to it - see https://confluence.atlassian.com/confcloud/page-restrictions-724764891.html

You would also still need to look at using a social workflow to indicate you are working on the file - e.g. add a comment to the attachment or the page.

It might be possible to create a custom add-on to make this process a bit more user friendly.

0 vote
Ignacio Pulgar Community Champion Aug 15, 2016

Just FYI, there are new features regarding collaborative editing:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confcloud/collaborative-editing-828790374.html

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Confluence

Three common content challenges + how to manage them

An efficient enterprise content management system, or ECM, is a must-have for companies that create work online (cough   cough, all companies). If content calendars, marketing plans, and bu...

100 views 0 6
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you