checkout a file

Wendy Thorneloe August 12, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Managing Files

Hi

in Confluence I have an excel file

Is there a way to check the file out so other users know that I have it open and I'm working in it?

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2016

No, Confluence doesn't offer this feature or capability. There are no add-ons that I know of that can do this on Confluence Cloud, but you may consider searching the marketplace. There IS an add-on for on-premise installations though, if you ever consider migrating off Cloud.

Wendy Thorneloe August 12, 2016

Thanks!!

0 votes
Steven Haworth May 3, 2021

So it's 2021, Atlassian is moving everything to the cloud - any solution for this yet?  We have a need to manage shared attachments, and need a way to check in/out the files.

In this instance, there isn't a function to edit them within Confluence yet, thus the need for check in/out functionality.

I still can't find any add-ins which currently do this.

0 votes
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2016

Just FYI, there are new features regarding collaborative editing:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confcloud/collaborative-editing-828790374.html

0 votes
James Dellow
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 14, 2016

On Confluence Cloud you could use page permissions to restrict editing of the page, however that would effectively 'checkout' everything in the page and all the files attached to it - see https://confluence.atlassian.com/confcloud/page-restrictions-724764891.html

You would also still need to look at using a social workflow to indicate you are working on the file - e.g. add a comment to the attachment or the page.

It might be possible to create a custom add-on to make this process a bit more user friendly.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events