change font size of a single sentence?

simple way to do this...thats is all. It's basic functionality. I actually don't even want to make wiki's in confluence because of this. My company uses it but by god if something easier shows up I'll push so frickin' hard to switch. This is why everyone left HipChat for slack. 

4 answers

2 votes
Davin Studer Community Champion Jun 09, 2016

While it may seem a pain there is actually a real reason for this. My hunch is this won't change in the future. The main reason is that Confluence is meant originally to be a document repository. Typically you want all your documentation to adhere to the same standard for font/sizing so, they have not included it so that you don't have some goofball who is stuck in the 90s  writing documentation in Comic Sans. There are workarounds such as cutting and pasting from Word, but ask yourself this question. Why do you want the different font sizes. Is it simply for emphasis? If it is then is font size really the best way to emphasize something? If you want font sizing for headings then you should use headers for that and not paragraphs.

You may be in a unique case where font sizing would be a good thing, but in my experience working with documentation if you allow users access to font faces/sizes you will get a hodgepodge of documentation styles that have no visual cohesion.

Here's a simple reason why some degree of font size control is vital

1/ Technical company with LOTS_OF_TABLES_WITH_ENTRIES_LIKE_THIS which get cropped when converted to PDF.  I mean, sure, looks fine on screen - but for a document store, you should be able to export it for non confluence users.

With no control on the export and no control on the source document, you're left having great problems pushing Confluence to non-engineering.

if there was a competitor in this domain, I'm sure Atlassian would be adding features like this every few months

I agree to a large extent .. having specific font, size and colour selection would be really "handy" ... to some vital, or just an obvious feature requirement

But these wiki tool bars are often Open Source things (I have seen at least "99%" similar toolbar in other platforms) so the demand is often based on much broader usage than just the users of the Confluence platform ... so if that has failed to generate enough user demand Confluence is somewhat "hamstrung"

you said, "if there was a competitor" - well there are, but Confluence is right up in the top few and IMHO, do it better than most.  Maybe therefore we have a higher expectation of it ... ???

As I mentioned below, you can "copy" special formatting into a page if you do the formatting in Word first and set the Web layout view and the "backward P" on

If fonts and formats etc are an issue, have you looked into a plugin to embed your Word template into the Confluence system?  I am just about to start playing with using "Scroll Office" ....

Have you tried the Span macro?

It's a little wonky in that in Edit mode, it appears on its own line, but in view mode it is embedded within the paragraph.

Just add the Span macro where you want the text a different size, enter the text in the body of the macro, then edit the macro and enter the size in the Styles field

• font-size: 200%
  • font-size: large
  • font-size: 20px
  • font-size: 20pt
  • font-size: .5in
  • font-size: 1cm

Jonathan,

At first this was concerning to me too, but it's no more than an afterthought now. Our org (about 200 Confiuence spaces, 7500 employees, a number of all employee-spaces) uses a combination the built-in header fonts and superscript/subscript to alter the basic Paragraph font. Works well for us.

Yes - the limited font management - size, style and colour - is a real pain!!!

But if you open Word

type some text in whatever font and colour and size

Set Word to Web layout view  (CRITICAL)

Turn on the formatting button (backward P)  (CRITICAL)

now copy the entire line including the backward P

when you paste into Confluence, all the html text formatting code (usually) comes with it smile (I say usually because I just tried it in this text box and it didn't work but I have tried it in our own Confluence instance)

Of course not handy when you are doing lots of individual text formatting .. but a rudimentary work around

Bring on a proper formatting wiki tool bar - I think there is a feature request floating around for a long time .....

I suspect part of the problem is that the wiki toolbar is open sourced code so it needs the open source community to do something about it

its a basic functionality that 100% of users expect with a text editor. I appreciate the workaround, but if I'm going to be opening other applications then I might as well just use them.

I suspect that there is no easy way to do this. So I'm moving on perhaps to a diff program and then just posting the link in the wiki. 

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

2,927 views 27 12
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you