Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can I split "Children Display" across "layouts" on a page?

Patrick McCarty April 19, 2023

can I split "Children Display" across "layouts" on a page?

I have multiple children pages under a given page.  I cannot move them around the page except as a block.  would like to have them displayed side by side verse straight down - possible?  Potentially split across layout boxes i create - possible?  

pat.mccarty@libertymutual.com

2 answers

4 votes
Anastasia Bek _Stiltsoft_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 28, 2023

Hi @Patrick McCarty,

I’m Anastasia from Stiltsoft.

I’ve been thinking about your question and I suppose that our Handy Cards from the Handy Macros for Confluence can be a good fit. They allow you to create page previews for children pages, pages by labels, or external resources based on your needs. Furthermore, you can customize the look and feel for Handy Cards. You can select their layout, size, text and images included and so on.

For example, you can add Handy Cards generated from child pages in the edit mode in a few clicks:

image-20230427-204737.png

This will result in the page cards which are updated automatically in the page view mode:

image-20230427-205044.png

Handy Macros for Confluence is available for Cloud and Data Center. Please, let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,

Anastasia

0 votes
Connor
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 27, 2023

Hi @Patrick McCarty to my knowledge there's no built-in way to cleanly achieve what you're describing, but there is a somewhat hacky method that might work for you.

I tested this method against a page with 2 child pages. 

1. Add a Two column layout to the page.
  2. Add a Children Display macro to each column.
  3. Edit the macro in the first column.
    1. Set Number of Children to half of the total number of child pages. In my case my page has 2 child pages so I set this to 1.
    2. Choose title for the Sort Children By dropdown.
  4. Edit the macro in the second column.
    1. Set Number of Children to half of the total number of child pages. Again I set this to 1.
    2. Choose title for the Sort Children By dropdown.
    3. Click the checkbox for Reverse Sort.

The end result is 2 side-by-side Children Display macros, the first shows child pages in alphabetical order, the second shows child pages in reverse alphabetical order. Here's a screenshot of my page editor showing this, with a third Children Display macro at the top for reference.

2023-04-27 ChildrenDisplayMacro-Hack.png

This might work for you, but be aware of these problems you may face if you decide to do this:

• You would have to update the Number of Children value every time a new child page was published.
  • Your users may become confused by the ordering of pages, if the child pages are intended to be read in chronological order.
Patrick McCarty April 27, 2023

Thanks!!! will give this a try!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events