can I search for pages that do not have a certain label?

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Confluence Search Syntax

Ask your question here...

2 answers

1 accepted

I'm not aware of any way you can do this. We employ a workaround in my organisation, where all pages must have a default label. You can then use the default label in conjunction with standard search syntax to search for pages which don't have a certain label. 

Sounds complex so here's an example: the default label, applied to all pages, is dfet. You're looking for all pages which do not contain the label superseded. The search syntax is:

labelText:dfet NOT labelText:superseded

Because dfet is on every page, this will return a list of all pages which do not contain the label superseded

If anyone has a better solution which works on Confluence Cloud, please share!

Edit: Stephen Deutsch has a more elegant solution. 

This will work well Alex. Thanks

1 vote
Stephen Deutsch Community Champion Nov 11, 2015

I tested this search:

type:page NOT labelText:confluence

and it appeared to return all pages not containing the label "confluence".  I tested on both Cloud and Server.

The only thing you have to be careful about are hyphenated labels (i.e. confluence-doc), because a search will match both "confluence" and "doc".

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Confluence

Three common content challenges + how to manage them

An efficient enterprise content management system, or ECM, is a must-have for companies that create work online (cough   cough, all companies). If content calendars, marketing plans, and bu...

84 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you